Chapter 78 - You're the reason I smile

Quinn & Negan, Alexandria

Quinn fell asleep quickly because she was exhausted, she couldn't sleep well while Negan was away. She had nightmares.

Negan was lying awake for a little while, then he started to fall asleep as well, when suddenly Quinn started to talk in her sleep.

"No..." she said. "No..."

She started moving, she was fighting in her sleep. She released Negan's hand, turned her back on him, and fought with her own demons inside her head. Negan reached out and started stroking her back. He moved closer and embraced Quinn from behind, hugging her tightly.

"I'm here," he whispered. Quinn slowly stopped moving. "I'm here," Negan repeated in his gentle tone.

Quinn calmed down, her breathing went back to normal and Negan slowly fell asleep too.

...

By the time I woke up the sun was already shining through the window and Negan was wide awake, lying next to me. He looked at me as I moved.

"Hey," he said quietly, gently. I wanted to cry immediately, I had no idea why. I was so emotional. The fact that he was really here, I couldn't get used to it and when he disappeared for days he didn't help me with that either. I was always worried we would get separated again. It was like he read my mind, but probably it was all written on my face. "I'm here," he said gently. I let out a sigh of relief, I closed my eyes and buried my face in my hands, then I looked at him again. He turned towards me with his whole body.

"Are you having nightmares too?" he asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. Sorry, if I woke you up," I said.

"Don't worry about it. Are you feeling better now?" he asked and slowly took my hand. This time his hand was warm. I nodded once again.

"Yes. I'm always worried you would vanish into thin air," I said, looking him in the eye.

"I'm not a magician," he said in the same gentle tone but smiling widely. I chuckled.

"You know what I meant," I said, smiling at him. He nodded.

"Yeah, I know. Not planning on leaving you any time soon," he said. We were still holding hands, playing with each other's fingers. Then he let go of my hand, looked at me, and caressed my cheek, while he let out a sigh. "I can't believe you are here with me, either," he said quietly, to reassure me. I got lost in his eyes. He smiled at me so charmingly, my heart melted.

"We should get going. Check the wall," he said embarrassed. I snapped out of the pink dust. I couldn't believe he was still concerned, after everyone being so rude to him. I nodded and got up to get dressed. He got out of bed too. I turned my back on him as I was about to change, but then I stopped. I glanced at him and, of course, he was staring at me.

"Sorry," he said blushing, got red-handed.

"I'm not comfortable changing in front of you just yet, so... Would you please?" I asked.

"Sure. Sorry," he said and quickly left the room. I let out a sigh. I took off my shirt and put on a bra, but then he came right back.

"Is this because of that scar of yours?" he asked standing in the door.

I got scared shitless that he is going to see me, but I just managed to clasp the back of my bra in time.

"Jesus Christ, Negan!" I said as I was covering myself, turning my back on him. He smiled so mischievously. My heart wanted to jump out of my chest. I took a deep breath, then I let out a sigh.