Chapter 57 - Still a prisoner

Quinn, Hilltop

I was still angry the next morning. I went down to the tree and helped Eugene without saying a word all day. He kept glancing at me. At night I lay awake, I was thinking about Negan. He lived in the belief that I was dead. He must have been through hell. He lost his wife and then... he lost me. I had to get back to him.

I also realized I didn't give a shit about Alexandria, now that he wasn't there. I wanted to be wherever he was. I wanted to go out so badly to look for him, maybe it wouldn't be too late, but I remembered Henry every time. I couldn't put him in danger. The poor kid had nothing to do with all this.

...

That night Jesus called me through the radio.

"Hey, Quinn. I wanted to apologize too. I know you learned the truth," he said in a grave voice.

"Jesus... I don't know what to say. Everyone's apologising for Daryl and Carol's mistake. And yet not one of you thought it might be something I wanted to know. It didn't occur to any of you to stop this?"

"I'm sorry. I think... we all wanted Negan to suffer."

"And now he is out there, maybe the whisperers already killed him..."

"Don't think like that. He wouldn't go down easily. I still think you will meet again one day."

"How pink dusty you are..." I said bitterly.

"You know... he saved me and Aaron. When we were clearing walkers outside of Alexandria."

"Yeah, why wouldn't he, right? I am the only one who sees that he only killed Glenn and Abraham because he wanted to survive and protect people. Just like we did. He made mistakes but he just wanted to stay alive. He regretted it all and as far as I know, he is trying really hard to make up for it."

"You're right."

"Why did you call me?"

"I wanted to apologize. Also, I wanted to tell you that Aaron and I... we are a couple now."

"Congratulations," I said it, but I couldn't feel anything right now even though I cheered for them.

"But it's not just that..." Jesus continued. "I called you because I need your help."

"With what?"

"Carol and Daryl are going crazy. Carol is unpredictable, she is so worried about Henry, and Daryl's messed up because of you. You really attacked him?"

"I did. I slapped his face as hard as I could. My hand still hurts."

"Wow. I hope you only wanted to do that to Daryl..."

"Don't worry. I got my anger out. He is the one to blame. I'm still pissed off though... So what do you want me to do?"

"I need you to come to Alexandria and do something about Carol and Daryl. We're in danger because of them. They're reckless. They brought a whisperer here and accidentally killed him. Alpha can be coming for our heads any minute."

"What the hell?!" I gasped. "That doesn't sound like them."

"That's what I'm talking about. I know we disappointed you, but I think they need you now. And I need you too. I would be glad if you came."

"I'll think about it. I have to fix the wall first."

"Alright. But don't think for too long, it might be too late before Carol does something stupid again."