Chapter 52 - Heroes and Villains

Quinn, Hilltop

I was preparing to go to sleep, just when Ezekiel knocked on my door.

"Quinn, Eugene's on the radio. He wants to talk to you."

"Oh? Thank you for letting me know," I said and followed Ezekiel. He nodded good night and turned around the corner to his room. I continued my way to the radio.

"Hi, Eugene, I'm here," I said while pressing the button.

"Hi, Quinn," his voice was hoarse, he sounded weary.

"Everything all right?"

"Yeah, well, we managed to clear out the remaining walkers."

"That's good to know," I felt like there was something more to it. "Are you okay?"

There was a moment of silence.

"I had a fight with Rosita. She told me we are never going to be a couple," he growled in his low voice. I exhaled sharply.

"I'm so sorry, Eugene."

"You know... I was hoping for so long... She was just tired and I annoyed her, so she spoke the truth."

I remembered how I got rejected by Daryl, suddenly everything came back to me. I was hoping for him for years too...

"I know it's hard, but you should try to let her go. You can still be friends like you used to. It's easier if you find someone else, who takes away your attention."

"I guess so... Harder done than said."

"I completely agree. I was lucky to find Negan."

"About that... There's something you should know."

"About Negan?"

I heard Eugene let out a huge sigh.

"Carol and Daryl lied to you. Actually, half of Alexandria has been lying to you for years... Including myself."

I was just stunned. I had no idea what he was talking about. I gasped for air, my heart started racing.

"Is he... is he dead?" I breathed heavily.

"No, he is fine, alright. You are dead."

I frowned my eyebrows, my heart slowed down a little.

"What? How would I be dead? What are you talking about?"

"When you attempted suicide... Daryl told Negan that you died. He wanted to prevent Negan from wanting to escape to find you."

My breathing became heavier and my heart started pounding again.

"Is this true?" I asked quietly. "Daryl... how could he?? And Carol knew about it?!" I became louder as I talked.

"Everyone knew about it... We all knew. Only after Daryl told him the lie, of course, no one had any influence on the events. I am so sorry. I don't deserve your comforting words, because I deceived you too."

I didn't know what to say.

"He thinks I'm dead?" I said quietly, taken aback, tears stinging my eyes.

"Yes."

Eugene was waiting patiently for me to digest what I heard and answer.

"I have to go to Alexandria. I have to let him know that I'm not!... So that's why Carol sounded so strange! That's why she said Negan would be upset if I went back to Alexandria!"