Chapter 132 (short) - The squeak

Carol and Daryl, Commonwealth

The same night

Carol was trying hard to get RJ to go to sleep. Judith was sleepy already, she could drift off at any minute if RJ stopped making noises.

"RJ, please, just go to sleep. Pretty please?" tried Carol. Lydia and Henry were already fast asleep. "You are keeping Judith up too, she's tired."

"Sorry. I'm not that sleepy," he said letting out a yawn.

"Yeah, I can see that," said Daryl mocking him.

"Yes, you are, so close your little eyes and sleep," said Carol. Suddenly a strange, squeaky noise was audible quietly from next door. It was like some kind of wooden furniture was squeaking repeatedly. Carol glanced at Daryl meaningfully. Daryl made a grimace. RJ frowned his eyebrows questioningly.

"What's Negan doing?" he asked looking at the wall.

"Probably Quinn," said Daryl, but Carol poked him with her elbow. "I mean, we don't know if it's Negan, maybe Quinn's doing something," he tried to change the meaning of the sentence. RJ was still frowning his eyebrows, not getting it.

"Maybe their bed is uncomfortable and they are trying to fix it. Don't worry about it," Carol explained quickly.

"Okay," said RJ letting out another yawn. He finally closed his eyes. Judith already fell asleep. Carol tucked in RJ and quietly left the room with Daryl. They were preparing to go to sleep too, while not making any comments on what just happened, but they just couldn't pretend they didn't hear the bed squeaking next door, which was still audible.

Daryl was in bed but this time he was wearing a pajama as it was colder outside with the winter approaching. Carol put on her pajama too and lay next to Daryl in bed. They were quiet for a couple of minutes and they could hear the bed squeaking clearly. Carol turned around to face Daryl. He was staring at the ceiling but when Carol turned around, he looked at her.

"They're goin' at it," Daryl growled then scoffed.

"Jesus Christ..." said Carol. "Quinn knows that the walls are paper here... just... jeez."

Daryl chuckled.

"Clearly, they don't mind," he said.

For another minute they were listening to the squeaking noise.

"Thank god nothing else is audible," said Carol. Daryl chuckled again. Carol turned on her back and looked at the ceiling. "It could have been you once," she said mocking Daryl.

"Pff..." he said embarrassed. "You just love bringing it up from time to time, don't you?"

"Don't tell me you never thought about her after she told you her feelings," said Carol.

"I think about her as my sister," said Daryl.

"Now. What about back then, when she confessed?" she asked.

"Why does it matter?" Daryl returned the question. "I think about her as a sister now. She's going to marry that jerk and you know exactly how I feel about you."

"Actually, no, I don't," said Carol. Daryl turned his face towards her.

"Don't make me say it," he growled in his low voice.

"You never say anything. How should I know?" said Carol. Daryl exhaled sharply. His heart started to beat faster. He turned on his side towards Carol, facing her completely. He slipped his hand on her cheek and looked her in the eyes meaningfully.

"You know you can't force me to say it," he said finally.

"Are you playing with me, Dixon?" Carol snapped pretending to be offended. She grabbed Daryl's hand and moved it away from her. Daryl chuckled. Carol turned her back on him, leaving the topic, but actually, Daryl wanted to say it. He wanted to say it for a very long time. He just got scared. Is it too late? He was staring at Carol's back, then he moved closer, cuddled her from behind and placed his chin on her shoulder, so his lips were right next to her ears.

"I love you," he said quietly. Carol felt like her heart would jump out of her chest, but she tried her best to stay composed.

"I love you too," she said shortly, without emotions.

"That's it?" asked Daryl a little bit disappointed.

"What else do you want me to say?" asked Carol. Daryl let out a growl as he got up and climbed on Carol. She turned on her back once again. "What are you doing?" she asked getting nervous. Daryl scoffed and leaned really close to her, then he finally kissed her. He backed away a little bit and looked her in the eyes.

"I love you," he repeated. Carol's heart fell out of her chest.

"I love you too," she breathed now with all of her heart. Then she sat up slightly and kissed Daryl again. It was such a cute, kind and romantic kiss. Perfect to seal their confessions. After they backed away Daryl fell back to his place playfully, turned on his side and looked Carol in the eyes once again. She turned towards him too. They were looking at each other for a couple of seconds in silence, then Carol slowly took Daryl's hand and their fingers intertwined. They were both smiling happily.

Another minute passed and there was complete silence. Carol glanced at the wall.

"Finally," she said. Daryl chuckled. Carol looked him in the eyes again.

"Didn't they set the mood for us?" she asked seductively, overacting it. She knew how reserved Daryl was and she just couldn't help making fun of him, making him embarrassed.

"Shut up," he said and turned on his back again, staring at the ceiling. Both of them chuckling. Carol scooped closer, pecked his cheek, but she didn't think that Daryl would turn towards her in an instant and embrace her strongly. Just like he never wanted to let go of her ever again. He kept her in his arms and they fell asleep like that.

...

Author's notes: Listen to "Best part of me" By Jeremy Renner. 

His voice matches so well with Daryl. 

Wishing Jeremy Renner a fast recovery!!! ❤❤❤

Thank You for reading! ❤