Chapter 74 - Maggie

Quinn & Negan, in the forest

It was dawn, the sun was about to come up. As I was sitting beside Negan, staring into nothing, thinking, Negan suddenly woke up and became fully alert. He looked around quickly.

"Hey. Good morning," I said. He looked me in the eye and let out a sigh. "Bad dreams?" I asked. He nodded silently.

He fixed a stray hair on his forehead and leaned his head back, against the tree we were sitting by.

"Dreams are helping to process," I said. Negan nodded.

"Yeah..."

"We're going back to Alexandria in the morning," I told him. He nodded again.

"Okay"

"I have to tell you something," I said, it couldn't wait. He looked me in the eye. I continued. "Maggie is back."

Negan frowned his eyebrows.

"What?" he asked. I nodded to assure him. I looked at him very seriously and continued:

"I was thinking... maybe we should leave. Leave Alexandria and just... be. The two of us," I said, I was examining his reaction. He was definitely not expecting this.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "You want to leave Carol and Daryl?"

"If we can live in peace, then yes," I said.

He straightened his back and turned to face me.

"You don't want to leave them, they are your family, you said that."

"Carol once left, because she didn't want to lose any more people," I said, thinking out loud.

"And by the time she came back, she lost some anyway..." he said. "And she did come back, eventually. For a reason," he said very seriously.

"I don't want you to die," I said. "I'm scared of Maggie. And I don't want you to live among people who hate you."

"I can handle their hatred. And I'm not scared of Maggie," he said. "We have a better chance of surviving if we stay with the group. Believe me, there are a lot of other groups out there, like the whisperers. If we stumble upon them while it's just the two of us... we have barely any chance."

"I know. But I don't want you to live in misery because of their hatred."

"Doesn't matter," he said with a slight smile. "As long as you stay with me, I don't care about what they think."

I was speechless for a moment, looking him in the eye, then I silently nodded.

"I'm going to talk to Maggie. I have to tell her," I said. "Come what may. Maybe she will take it better if she hears it from me," I said. Negan nodded.

"Okay."

I glanced at the sky while Negan didn't take his eyes off of me. I turned my gaze back at him.

"It's almost morning. We should be ready to go," I said and I stood up to start packing. Negan did the same. As we finished packing, we glanced at each other then we headed back to the others. They were all packing stuff on wagons. Negan helped them without a second thought. I glanced around and I spotted Carol, I approached her.

"Hey" I said.

"Hey," she turned to me.

"Is everything okay?" I asked. She nodded, smiling slightly.