Chapter 125 - A regular afternoon

Quinn, Commonwealth

1 week later

It's October 14th, Friday. I cannot believe I can tell the time and dates. Feels so strange yet so familiar. My life just continued the exact same way as it was before. My job was the dullest of them all. I was thinking about asking Carol to teach me how to cook and bake so I could join her, but then, I changed my mind. Maybe I shouldn't depend so much on Carol. Anyway, my job was boring. And everything was the same as before except... I had a hot-ass boyfriend. Now that was still new to me.

Negan seemed to be tired of being a gym teacher. He wasn't so happy about it when he first learned he had to teach again. And he definitely didn't ease up since then.

I was just finishing up my work for this week and was getting ready, 'cause I had a date with Carol. She asked me to spend a girls' night out like we used to do in the Kingdom. I couldn't say no of course. I needed it too. It was so strange to have a life like this again. We were neighbors but the first week was so busy we barely saw each other.

I didn't go home I headed from the office straight to the square. Carol suggested a coffee shop. It was buzzing with life even though it was late afternoon. She wasn't there yet so I sat down in the corner, waiting for her. I started checking out the menu. It felt so fucking strange. The most usual thing someone could do and yet... after the fall everything changed. I have never thought I would do such a thing and be at such a place after all that happened. As I was lost in my thoughts suddenly I snapped out of it when Carol sat down in front of me.

"Hi!" she smiled at me happily.

"Hi!" I replied and placed the menu on the table.

"Did you order?" she asked, placing her coat over the chair.

"No, not yet" I answered. It was such a hilarious conversation. I couldn't help but chuckle.

"What?" asked Carol smiling.

"I just can't believe any of this. Have you ever thought we would be sitting in a café together? After everything?" I asked. Carol chuckled.

"No. But here we are. We have to grab every opportunity while we can" she said smiling as she grabbed the menu and ran her eyes through the list.

"That sounds a bit depressing, but I agree."

A waiter appeared soon enough and we ordered two cappuccinos.

"How's the office?" she asked while we were waiting.

"You know... it's awkward. And just between us... I have a feeling by preserving everything... they preserved the bad things too" I said quietly.

"You mean the social crap?" she asked quietly too.

"Yep, exactly," I said. We stopped talking when the waiter brought our drinks. We continued when he walked away. "I didn't miss this at all" I added.

"Yeah, I know. I got a client this week. She ordered a barbie doll cake for her daughter's birthday and yelled at me because it wasn't all pink but had some blue candies on top as well. I thought I would go nuts. She acted like this was the most important thing right now and the dead weren't eating the living at all. She even asked if I knew who she was in such an arrogant way. And when I said I have no clue, she stormed out of the shop offended. Ridiculous" she ended the story.

"I didn't really want to come here and I'm not sure I want to live in a place like this. I mean all of this is exciting and unbelievable, but... keeping these social defects too... We dropped this shit so easily" I said thinking out loud.