Chapter 150 - Epilogue

Epilogue

10 YEARS LATER

"Shh!" Carol hushed me. I was grabbing my knife strongly, ready to strike. Carol slowly placed her bow on her back and pulled her knife too. She nodded for me to follow her and I did. She launched an attack on the walkers coming towards us. I pressed my back against her back and we stabbed and stabbed and stabbed the heads of those walkers.

"Is there any more?" I asked quietly.

"I don't see more," she replied. She moved fast and kicked in the door. I glanced back above my shoulder, then I followed her. Suddenly I heard that way too well-known sound of a walker growling right beside my right ear. I turned in an instant and stabbed its head while another one crawled towards me and grabbed my ankle. Its lower body was missing, pulling its organs after it. I stepped on its head with all my strength, crushing the skull. I learned that move from Daryl. Carol glanced at me and nodded. We hurried further inside the building.

"Are you sure it's here?" I asked.

"Yeah... it was here a long time ago... and honestly, how many people need glasses in the apocalypse? It must be untouched," she said.

We were hurrying along a corridor when Carol suddenly stopped. I stopped too. And that's when I heard it. They were coming from both sides. Carol grabbed her bow with one move and shot the ones coming from the front, and I turned back for those which were coming from behind, taking them out one by one. It went on for a little while till we finished and continued our way, through the dead bodies, avoiding them.

"This better be worth it," I said.

"He needs those glasses," Carol stated.

"He will never wear them," I said.

"I will make him," said Carol simply as we continued. Unfortunately, Daryl's eyesight deteriorated. He started missing his shots and then it happened more and more often. Carol noticed it and knew something was wrong. Daryl would have never admitted. He said he was tired and that he didn't pay attention really and so on... always coming up with an excuse. Even Judith noticed something was off. And of course, Daryl felt ashamed that he is not perfect, so we had to keep it a secret. And here we are, Carol and I, trying to find glasses for him. Carol opened another door and finally, we found the shop. She broke the glass doors without a second thought.

"You always knew how to make an entrance," I said, she chuckled. The glasses in the shop were covered with thick dust. They were sitting there for over 20 years.

"We can't clean these. The dirt will scratch the lenses," she said and kept looking.

"Yeah... what about the store?" I asked.

"We should check that door," she said. The door was locked but Carol managed to open the lock. There were several piles of glasses in boxes. Carol opened one and there wasn't any dust on them at all.

"Bless plastic boxes," she said sarcastically.

"At least they were good for something," I said. She started looking at their descriptions.

"How will we know which ones to take?" I asked.

"No idea... We will bring as many as we can. One of them must be a fit," she said and packed the boxes in her bag. I did the same. We filled four large bags with boxes of glasses and hurried back outside the way we came in. No more walkers. We loaded the bags on our horses and off we were back towards Alexandria.