Chapter 5 - Storm

(Author's notes: I would like to recommend another song, listen now, before you start reading. The song is "Hello Heartache" by Avril Lavigne.)

...

Two years passed again. I haven't seen Daryl since that incident in the forest and I actively tried not to think about him. Eventually, I thought about him less and less.

Negan talked to me sometimes, but not that much. He got this new habit of saying thank you after every meal.

One day I saw something.

He was talking to Judith through the window. He seemed happy, he was joking and laughing. I looked around, I saw no one. I stepped to the little girl.

"Judith, you should go home," I said politely.

"I know, I know," she said and left.

I went down to the cell. When Negan saw me, he came to the bars. He did this all the time since I came back from the Kingdom.

"You shouldn't talk to her. If Michonne knew, she would cut you in half, because unlike me, she was right there and watched Abraham and Glenn in their last moments."

He took the meal and started to eat. He swallowed then said:

"You're right. But she is such a sweet little girl."

"Are you a pedophile or what?"

He frowned his eyebrows disapprovingly.

"Even I must draw the line somewhere. I am definitely not a pedophile."

He took a bite of his sandwich.

"Glad to know."

He swallowed then continued.

"Me and my wife, Lucille... We always wanted to have a child. But she couldn't... We didn't get to... then all this mess happened and she died... I always wanted to be a father."

His eyes pierced right into my soul as he said that. This was the first time I ever felt sorry for him. He continued eating.

I didn't say anything else. I never thought about having children. I just wanted to fall in love first, and maybe later I would consider it.... I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize he finished his meal. He was leaning to the iron bars and staring at me. I quickly got the plate from him and stepped to the stairs.

"Why are you always in such a hurry?" he asked.

"I don't want to be with you longer than I must."

"Ouch! I didn't see that coming," he said with a wide smile. I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing. You can leave if you want to."

"I want to."

So I left.

That night I lay awake in my bed, staring at the ceiling. Then I got up and looked out of my window. I saw the stars so clearly. It was beautiful.

I couldn't shake these things out of my head.

And now I can't sleep because I just realized that I kind of started to like Negan. He was so miserable, he did bad things but he seemed to be regretting them. He seemed to be changing. Maybe Judith is changing him?

I lay back in my bed. When I fell asleep, I dreamed about Negan bashing Abraham and Glenn's heads. How he smashed again and again and again with the bat. I woke up suddenly, my heart was beating fast. I think my subconscious wanted to warn me, to remind me who Negan is. I wasn't present in real life, but in my dream, I saw it so clearly. I took a deep breath.