Chapter 96 - Tension

Quinn, Negan, Maggie, and Alden, Abandoned Church

Maggie helped Alden inside and we sat down to take a breath. Negan was pacing for a little while like he was unable to stop. Maggie said we take a break then we keep going, still sticking to the plan. Alden and Maggie started to have a heart-to-heart about Alden slowing us down. Negan walked in front of me and glanced outside through the window. I softly touched his hand. He glanced at me and flashed such a slight smile like his mouth didn't even move, he was only smiling with his eyes. I smiled at him too. I saw he was eavesdropping on Maggie and Alden, so I didn't start a conversation. I just sat there, breathing gently, holding on to Negan's two fingers. Alden suddenly started talking about why he left Negan and joined Maggie back then. I could see how much Negan was concentrating on listening to them, he was tense, not moving, just staring at the window. Alden and Maggie kept on arguing about how bad Negan was (back then), and a couple of minutes later Alden was trying to convince her to leave him here. Negan sat next to me and leaned ahead, resting his elbows on his knees, still listening. Then he said that Maggie has to decide. She of course went all out on Negan, for being reckless and deciding about who lives or dies. Then she came to the conclusion that Negan destroyed everything we had.

"Hilltop was destroyed by the new group, the whisperers, which you didn't give a goddamn shit about," I started calmly. "We would be all dead if Negan didn't murder their leader, risking his life for Alexandria, for people who hate him," I stated. I was talking gently, but seriously. "Alexandria was ruined by the horde that the whisperers led there. You can ask Daryl or anybody about this if you don't believe me. Negan was helping us during these times."

Negan stayed quiet for a while and then said that Maggie has to decide what to do now. She was crying because of frustration. She already decided, I knew it. She just didn't dare to say it yet.

When she finally gathered herself, she handed Alden all of her food, then stepped to Negan to get his knife. Negan got it out of his shoe and handed it to Maggie, who handed it to Alden. Negan was left completely unarmed, except for the crowbar. Negan then stood up and pushed some seats in front of the door, so Alden can block it and be safe while we were gone. Negan stepped outside without saying a word. I followed him. Maggie said goodbye to Alden. The sun was going down as we walked away from the church. Negan took out a walker with the crowbar, Maggie staring at his back. Now she was left outnumbered. After he finished off the walker, Negan turned around and locked eyes with Maggie. The way they looked at each other was so intense like Maggie would kill him at any minute. I didn't even know what to do. I have never experienced anything like this before. Maggie walked past Negan and led the way. I stepped next to Negan. We exchanged glances and followed Maggie.

"I don't like this at all," I said quietly to Negan, but Maggie stopped in an instant and turned to face me.

"Do not whisper behind my back," she said irritatedly.

"Alright. I said that I don't like this at all," I said as I stood her gaze.

"You don't like it? You can leave," she replied.

"I'm not leaving because there are kids in Alexandria I care about and I want to get food for them," I stated patiently.

Maggie was still staring at me and I was still standing my ground.

"How can you be so blind, Quinn?" she asked quietly, pausing for a second. "I thought you were okay, but... It's scary how easily he fooled you," she said now through gritted teeth.

"He didn't fool me. He didn't do anything. Oh, wait that's not true. He was there for me and helped me when I didn't have anyone else," I said.