Chapter 39 - Complicated

Quinn, Hilltop

Another day when I was bored to death. It was almost noon when I finally heard the click of the lock on the door. It was Enid, with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi! I'm so sorry I made you wait for so long, but Alden came back."

"Don't worry, I didn't expect you to show up this early," I said smiling. "Jesus told me last night you got him back."

"Yeah... Sorry. I'll check the wound, wash you and put another infusion on," she said and quickly grabbed fresh gauze, water, and sponge, and an infusion bag. Then she started washing me. "How's your jaw?"

"It's better. Starts to hurt when I talk a lot."

"Then don't talk a lot just yet," she said smiling.

"So Alden's okay? They didn't hurt him?"

"No, he's fine, they just tied his hands, but otherwise, they didn't hurt them. Luke's okay too."

"Right. I haven't met him yet."

"They say he's a nice guy, he used to be a music teacher. I bet they got to be friends with Alden on the spot because he likes to sing."

"Alden can sing? I didn't know that."

"Yeah, he is handsome and a good singer."

"Good catch," I said with an impish smile, Enid giggled.

I bet she was busy during the night, but I thought it was worth a try, so I asked:

"Do you happen to know what Daryl's up to?"

"No, I haven't seen him since the trade."

"He visited me last night, he was really upset. Wish I could do something for him. I couldn't even follow him when he rushed out."

"Yeah, bedridden injuries are really nerve-wracking. In a couple of days, we can start physiotherapy, but we must be slow. One wrong move and the sutures will tear and that would be painful."

"I know..." I sighed. "And when can I at least turn around in bed? I started to go numb."

"On your own, after two weeks. But I can turn you around a little now."

"That would be nice."

"Okay, just don't squeeze your muscles, be completely relaxed," she said and pushed me to my right side, then slowly to the other side. I felt the suture already tighten. Enid moved me back to my original position, on my back.

"That's all. You can't do anything yet, sorry," she said. I nodded.

"Thank you."

"Alright, I put on the infusion, and then I have to go."

"Okay, thanks."

She did so, smiled at me, said goodbye, and left.

I let out a sigh. It was nice to roll around a little in bed. I wished someone would visit me, who had time. Unfortunately, everyone had a job and those who didn't, were busy saving others... Daryl and Jesus I mean...

I remember the past two years, I was looking out for some time alone to think about Negan because Carol kept babysitting me... and now, I have all the time in the world, alone... I have never thought that this moment would come, but... I miss Carol. I miss our girl talks.