Chapter 124 - Calendar

Quinn, Commonwealth

Day 1, Evening

That thought just couldn't leave me alone. The thought that something was wrong with Carol and Daryl. All I could gather from them was they had a "not happy" conversation. Of course, I was shocked by how everything seemed to be normal in the Commonwealth. It was like time-traveling. I was distracted by it for the day, but as soon as we got back, this thought occurred to me again. Negan fell asleep on the couch. He still had some minor injuries healing and we were tired.

I quietly went next door and knocked. I was not going to use that terrible doorbell. Carol opened it.

"Can I have a word with you?" I asked. She looked innocently like she didn't know why, but stepped out and closed the door behind her.

"Of course" she said. I examined her still red eyes and I exhaled sharply before I started.

"Carol, I know something's off. I can see it in your eyes. You were definitely crying. Tell me what's wrong" I said. Her expression changed three times during my sentences. First, she was surprised, then denying, then gave in. I waited for her answer for a couple of minutes.

"Yesterday was Sophia's birthday" she stated simply, quietly. I got taken off guard. I had been imagining all kinds of trouble that could bother her, but not this.

"I'm so sorry" that was all I could force out of myself. I felt like I was punched in the stomach. Of course, she wouldn't do that, but I had a feeling that I did something wrong. I shouldn't have asked.

"It's okay, you didn't know. Daryl was helping me. I told him. Probably that's why both of us seem to be off today... I didn't mean to worry you" she added gently. I hugged her without saying anything else. She returned the hug, we stayed like that for a couple of minutes.

"What can I do to make you feel better?" I asked her as I backed away. She smiled at me sadly.

"I don't know, honey. I think it will just pass. This feeling I mean. No one can do anything about it" she said quietly, quickly wiping her eyes. I reached out and gently stroked her arm up and down.

"I'm so sorry..." I repeated quietly. She flashed another sad smile.

"Daryl? What are you doing?" we heard Henry's voice from inside.

"Shh!" Daryl answered him. Carol and I exchanged glances and we burst into laughter. Daryl was eavesdropping on us by the door.

"Now that you heard everything you can join the conversation if you want" said Carol in a normal volume now. We were talking quietly but still Daryl heard us. We heard Henry giggling at the situation, then the door opened up. Daryl stepped outside looking like a little boy who felt ashamed because he got busted. We were still chuckling with Carol.

"Sorry" Daryl mumbled.

"It's okay" said Carol as she caressed his cheek with one move, quickly. Daryl eased up instantly.

"I'm really sorry," I said to both of them. "I didn't mean to pry into your private life or make you feel bad. I thought maybe there was an issue that I can help with. I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it" said Daryl simply.

"It will pass" Carol repeated herself. "No one can do anything about it. But I'm glad you asked" she smiled at me and I returned the smile.

"If you want to talk about stuff, you shouldn't do it here," said Daryl quietly. "These walls are made of paper. I could hear your words clearly through the door. And I can hear that asshole snoring" he said nodding towards our door, referring to Negan. I stayed quiet for a moment, listening, and I could hear him too. Carol was chuckling. I scoffed in disbelief.