Chapter 105 - Shattering slowly

Quinn and Carol, Alexandria

It took an hour or two for the food to be ready, so I told Carol everything from leaving Alexandria till we got back today. Then she told me everything that happened here while we were away. How they struggled with the wall, how they struggled with food, the huge storm, the walkers got inside, bringing Connie back. She listened to me without interrupting, then I listened to her without interrupting. I felt a little bit better now that I got it off my chest. But before we could reflect on each other's story, Henry interrupted us.

"Everyone's at the hall. Food!" he said.

"My dear son, manners?" asked Carol scoldingly. We cooked food in three huge cauldrons. She handed one to Henry, then Carol and I grabbed another one each and followed him to the hall.

"We'll continue after dinner," said Carol quietly. I nodded. As we entered the hall I got startled by people clapping at us and applauding. Everyone was ready to finally eat. We were starving. And not just in a figure of speech, we literally did not eat for days. Carol enjoyed this little attention and slightly bowed. As people started lining up, I quickly grabbed a bowl, spooned myself food, and left in a hurry. I wanted to hide or run away or anything, just be invisible for a second. Aaron and Gabriel stepped to the cauldrons and they started handing out food with Carol, while the others lined up in front of them, letting children ahead. I hid in a corner and ate in silence. I saw Negan in the line, waiting for his turn. I avoided his eyes.

Everyone was buzzing and when they all got food, they had conversations in little groups. Everyone seemed happy. After I finished my meal, I placed the bowl next to the dirty dishes. My eyes met with Carol's, she finished eating quickly too and nodded towards the door. I nodded yes and followed her. The sun was going down as I stepped outside.

"I thought about everything you said," started Carol. "And I think Negan got scared of your feelings. Gosh, I never thought I'll have to analyze Negan's feelings... Anyway, maybe he's not ready yet. But it's really hard to tell. He did seem a bit strange."

"You don't have to do this Carol. I'll get over it. You should talk to Daryl."

"It's enough for me to see he's okay," she said smiling. "He'll come to me if he wants to talk."

I nodded understandingly.

"Don't be too strict. He didn't do anything. Leah was nothing. And Connie being back... he's with you now. He told Maggie."

"What? You missed that part out!" Carol snapped at me.

"Yes, when I questioned him about Leah, he said you're together and Maggie and Elijah heard it."

"Wow. That's something," said Carol surprised. She seemed to be easing up. "I don't judge. I'll listen to his version of the story and then we'll see."

"I'm sure he didn't cheat and he never will. Also, if he still had feelings for Leah, he would be out there, searching for her. But he isn't. He is here."

Carol nodded, then a couple of minutes later she continued, examining me with her eyes.

"It must have been hard with Maggie around, but you're home now. You don't have to see her every day. You can rest," she tried to comfort me, even hugged me at the end.

"I'm so tired... and I'm still scared," I said quietly as tears were suffocating me once again.

"I know, honey, but it's over," she said as she backed away and caressed my cheek. "Go home and rest. Get a long night of sleep and you'll feel much better in the morning, you'll see."