Chapter 147 - That Day

Quinn and Negan, Alexandria

2 months later

Aaron and Jesus got married last month. They invited Negan too, but after the ceremony, before the dinner, Negan said he will take the baby home as she needs to sleep. So he politely excused himself. I felt sorry for him, for still having to carry this burden of what he did back then... but I guess it will stay until we die. We made huge progress I think. There was a time when Maggie, Daryl, Jesus, and Aaron would have killed Negan on the spot without thinking. And now... we were sitting together, having fun. It was unbelievable. I was so proud of Negan. He kissed my cheek and left with our baby. I stayed to party with my friends. I decided I loved weddings. Eugene and Max were invited too, Max's belly started showing. I had a chat with her about pregnancy. Then I danced with everyone. Carol announced their engagement with Daryl during the dinner. Henry and Lydia made peace with each other. Lydia finally accepted that she lost an arm and that Henry still loves her anyway. I watched them dance. Aaron and Jesus made an awesome prosthetic arm for her. Hershel was a bit grumpy during the ceremony and glanced at Negan from time to time. But after he left, Hershel eased up and didn't give a damn anymore. I saw him dancing with Gracie. Maybe they had a crush on each other? No, they were too young for that. Or not? Who knows. They were cute.

After the wedding, there was peace and quiet for some time. Negan and I fixed everything on the house finally, making it completely livable and baby friendly. We even had electricity because we had solar panels back on.

I was lost in my thoughts on that beautiful morning as I was hanging up clothes to dry when sudden yelling hit my ears. I became alert at once. I wasn't used to this anymore. We didn't face danger for quite some time, so my heart suddenly wanted to jump out of my throat. I grabbed my knife and hurried to the direction of the noises to check. Negan came outside too and stopped on the porch, but I was already hurrying down the street. Did walkers get in?

As I got closer I could not believe my ears. And I could not believe what I saw when I finally got to the gates.

Michonne arrived back... with Rick.

I dropped my knife. I was just staring with my mouth hanging half open for a couple of minutes... Couldn't speak, couldn't move.

Carol and Daryl were sobbing so hard. I haven't seen them cry this much for years. My heart was breaking and healing at the same time. My eyes met with Rick's. He was crying too. He smiled at me while he was trying to hug all of his friends at the same time. I smiled back and waved at him awkwardly. Carol wiped her eyes and ran home to get the kids. I didn't want to stay for that. I would cry my heart out. I walked back to my house, but glanced back above my shoulder and saw Rick embracing Judith and RJ strongly, all of them sobbing. It was hard to hold my tears back. I didn't look anymore, just hurried back home.

"What's going on? Walkers?" Negan asked. A tear rolled down my cheek.

"Michonne's back... with Rick," I said.

Negan's mouth fell open, he couldn't say anything for a couple of minutes.

"Rick...?" he asked disbelievingly.

I breathed out slowly, trying hard to stop before I would cry.

"Judith and RJ finally got to meet him," I said. Negan still couldn't say anything. I saw he was conflicted by his feelings too.

"So... he will be in charge again," he said.

"What?"

"Do you think... he will put me back in that cell?" he asked.