Chapter 50 - Don't belong here

Quinn, Hilltop

Carol was trying to delay calling Quinn, but she had to tell her the council's decision. She finally got herself to do it...

...

I was heading to the radio room, Carol was trying to reach me. I sat down and pushed the button with a pounding heart.

"I'm here, what happened, Carol?"

"I called you to let you know about the council's decision, about your banishment..." she said it too formally, I already knew the answer was no.

"They voted against me."

There was silence for a little while, then Carol said:

"Yes. They don't want to upset Negan."

"Why would he be upset?"

Carol was hesitating, then she continued.

"They said he is unpredictable. They voted to let him have a little freedom, he can leave his cell, so he can be useful, but only with a guard watching him. Michonne let him do this because he saved Judith during the winter. And Michonne said that it's enough freedom for him, for now. She still doesn't want him to feel happy."

I listened to her, my heart beating fast. He saved Judith... I knew he was a good man, I was smiling like crazy, tears stinging my eyes. And he can go outside, finally. Even if it's only for work, he will be able to go out and breathe fresh air.

"Quinn? Do you copy?" asked Carol.

"Yes..." I smiled. "I'm happy he can go outside."

"I'm sorry... Michonne said we should get back to your case later. So, I think she is not entirely against it anymore, it's just not the right time for that."

I nodded understandingly, even though Carol couldn't see me.

"Yes. I understand. How's Jesus?" I asked.

"He is fine, he and Aaron are courting each other, but still not a couple yet," she said giggling.

"I don't even ask about you and Daryl..." I sighed. No one can get together when they should?

"Nope... nothing has changed between me and Daryl."

"Not surprised. How are Henry and Lydia?"

"Daryl has a soft spot for Lydia... I think he kind of adopted her. He is adorable, he doesn't even realize he is acting like a father. As for Henry, he is crazy in love, he is just... they are so cute with Lydia."

I chuckled. Daryl as a father? I frowned my eyebrows.

"And how's Eugene?"

"He was upset for not letting you back. We all were, actually. But Michonne was right, I guess," she fell silent for a moment, then continued: "I have to go now. I can't leave everything to Daryl."

"Yeah, sure, go."

We said goodbye and signed off. I let out a huge sigh. I was still smiling to myself. Negan saved Judith... and Daryl adopting Lydia? I was happy for them. I wished Jesus would just go for Aaron, not to mention Carol and Daryl... they are all like shy little kids. Even Henry got a girlfriend immediately. They should ask him about it. I let out a sigh and as I was about to leave the radio room, I heard the cracking noise once again.

"Carol?" I asked.

"Quinn? Is that you?" I heard Eugene's voice.

"Eugene! How are you?" I asked, I was really happy to hear his voice.