Chapter 51 - Ghosts

Negan, Alexandria

After Gabriel ordered Aaron to take Negan with him, Aaron and Jesus were changing glances, then headed out together to clear more walkers. After Negan praised Aaron's iron arm and he didn't react in any way, they started clearing out the walkers without saying a word, until Negan found a crowbar, which Aaron ordered him to drop. Negan tried to convince him that he is not that guy anymore, Aaron didn't trust him, not even for a minute. Jesus kept a close eye on him though, he tried to check if Quinn was right about him.

They fought all day until it was dark when finally, Aaron called it a day. He handed Jesus a rope.

"Tie him, please."

Jesus nodded and stepped to Negan, who stepped away from him.

"I risked my life all day here to help Alexandria and you still don't trust me? What else should I do?" snapped Negan.

"You should be dead, for long," said Aaron through gritted teeth. "If you are concerned about Alexandria, you should leave, that would make it a better place."

Jesus stepped between them, he was afraid Aaron might attack Negan.

"I had to do what I did..." said Negan quietly.

"Then tell me why the love of my life had to die!" yelled Aaron. Jesus flinched at his words.

"Okay, now that's enough," Jesus said strictly. Aaron was blinded by hatred he didn't even realize Jesus's feelings. Moreover, he continued.

"Tell me, Negan."

"A man has to protect what is his..." he said quietly.

"So Eric's death was my fault?!" snapped Aaron again, he was on the verge of crying. Negan didn't answer so Aaron stepped closer to him once again. "If that's what you are saying, then your wife's death was your fault too and she died hating you! Because everyone hates you! Quinn hated you too!"

Negan made a painful face and stepped away from Aaron.

"Alright, that's enough already," tried Jesus again.

"No, it's not enough! Everything is bad because of him!" he pointed at Negan, out of his mind.

"Aaron, stop!" Jesus raised his voice, which snapped Aaron out of it. He glanced at him and slowly realized what just happened.

"Jesus... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean..." he started, but Jesus waved it off.

"Let's head back to Alexandria."

Jesus stepped to Negan again to tie him, when they heard Aaron yell. He was attacked by two walkers out of nowhere and he tripped and fell. Jesus jumped next to him and killed the walkers, then helped him up, but in the meantime, he accidentally sprained his ankle.

"Oh, shit... Aaron, are you alright?" he asked, but Aaron was behaving strangely. "Aaron?"

"I... I can't see," he gasped. Jesus kneeled by his side, grabbed his face with his hands, and looked him in the eye.

"Your eyes... It was hogweed, on the walkers," said Jesus.

"Am I going to be blind?" asked Aaron, scared.

"There is a possibility," said Negan quietly, then he sighed at the sight of the unfortunate two. He stepped next to them and put their arms around his shoulders to help them walk. Aaron couldn't see and Jesus couldn't walk properly. They fell silent at his gesture.