Chapter 82 - Something always comes up

Author's notes: Listen to Here to stay by Smash into Pieces before reading. Daryl remembers how he felt all these years when he saw Carol with other guys.

...

Carol & Daryl, in the forest

Carol and Daryl were kissing softly, romantically for quite a long time. It was so sweet neither of them wanted to ever stop. After a while, they parted, Carol backed away a little and looked him in the eyes disbelievingly.

"Well, you took your time, Dixon," Carol said. "Why now?"

Daryl chuckled and shrugged his shoulder.

"I dunno. Didn't want to wait anymore."

"Why did you even wait?" she asked disbelievingly.

"Something always came up," he said.

"Yeah, like what?" she asked, pretending to be offended, joking, but Daryl answered honestly.

"Tobin, Ezekiel..."

"What the hell?" Carol frowned her eyebrows, taking a step back. "What about Beth? Leah?"

"Beth?" asked Daryl disbelievingly this time, taking a step back from Carol too. "You think Beth...?? She was a kid!" he said. "I'm not a pedophile. Even Maggie is younger than me, Beth was 16. Jeeez, Carol."

"I thought..." she said confused.

"Well, you thought wrong," he growled. "And if we're at it, what about Ezekiel? You married him!"

"Don't do this. I thought you... I thought you considered me only as a friend."

"I was accepting your decision. I wanted you to be happy. And I thought you considered me only as a friend too!" he stated.

"I didn't know I had another option!" she said looking each other in the eye the entire time.

"Bullshit," said Daryl. "You chose him."

"No! You didn't give any sign that would make me think that you... And Ezekiel cared about me."

"I care about you!" said Daryl confidently.

"What about Leah then?" she asked quietly, avoiding Daryl's eyes.

"You were married. And she's gone," he stated. They looked each other in the eye for a couple of minutes, then Carol continued:

"Typical... I waited for this for so long and a second after it we are arguing," said Carol disappointed. "Let's just pretend this didn't happen. Whatever," she said and wanted to walk away, but this time Daryl grabbed her arm to stop her.

"No. I mean it. I won't wait any longer and I won't lose you to another guy again," he stated.

"So we're like... together now?" asked Carol, still offended.

"Yeah, I guess," said Daryl in a similarly offended tone.

"Fine," said Carol strictly.

"Fine," repeated Daryl, letting go of her arm, while keeping eye contact.

"I'll go find Quinn," said Carol and took a step, but then she stopped, turned around, grabbed Daryl's cheeks, pecked his lips, then turned her back on him and left him there. Daryl was smiling with red cheeks, watching her walk away, while Carol was smiling and blushing crazily too.