Chapter 146 - The husband

Quinn and Negan, Alexandria

2 weeks later

We moved back to Alexandria and got back my old house. Thanks to Aaron the keys weren't lost. We settled back down, Negan fixed everything up and was working on the garden. It was almost like we never left.

Aaron invited me again to dinner. It was long due. This time, I accepted the invitation. We sat down with Aaron, Jesus, Lydia, and Gracie. I brought over Carla. We had such a nice dinner together, laughing a lot. The girls adored Carla. They were so cute, all of them. However, Negan said he better off staying home. Aaron said he wouldn't mind if he joined, but still. Negan didn't want to come. He was still feeling guilty even though almost everyone eased up on him, even Maggie.

Well... not everyone. Hershel found out the truth and he didn't like it at all, but Maggie and I talked to him. I also introduced him to our daughter. He is almost a teenager, his blood started to boil, so he was ready to kill Negan when he found out. I asked him whether he wanted Carla to grow up without a father. He knew the feeling way too well and that was the only reason he didn't do it. So he said he lets Negan live, but he doesn't want to see him at all. Every time Maggie and Hershel came to visit, Negan stayed home. I felt sorry for him, but this was all we could do. Hershel will never forgive Negan and he doesn't understand how could Maggie do that. Maggie didn't forgive Negan either, but because he helped a lot she started to trust him. And that's what Hershel didn't want to understand. He hates me too for being with him. It was almost like everything started all over again, but Maggie managed to calm him down. Negan was quite grumpy for a couple of days after this. He thought... we all thought that this chapter was finally over, and yet, Hershel started it again. Ripping open old wounds.

Hershel nowadays finally seems not to give a shit about us and I was grateful for that. We didn't see them too often anyway, because they live at Hilltop.

Now that I said goodbye to Eugene, we settled down, I talked over everything with Carol and Jesus about what happened, I visited Lydia, Judith, and Henry, and we got over this incident with Hershel... there was only one person left I didn't talk with: Daryl.

I knew exactly where to find him.

He was sitting on the ground, staring at the pond, one of his legs straight in front of him, resting his ankle which healed completely, but sometimes still hurt a little bit.

I sat next to him. He looked at me questioningly.

"We didn't talk for a long time and I was kind of missing it," I admitted. He nodded.

"Yeah... I kinda did too, but... not really," he scoffed. When he saw my confused look he explained quickly. "I like it better when there isn't anything going on."

"I know what you mean. I just wanted to ask if you are okay. After everything that happened. And I'm not talking about your leg."

"You're talkin' about Leah," he said. I nodded. He looked me in the eyes. "I can only say what I said the first time: there isn't anythin' to talk about. And I really mean it this time. You know I would tell you. But... actually... I didn't feel a goddamn thing when I shot her."

"Really?"

"Really. I saw Maggie was in danger and I didn't think twice."

"I get it," I nodded. Both of us were blinded by the sunlight. "Did you talk about this with Carol?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Good to hear that. I remember a time when you would have said: Naaah, she wouldn't understand, I don't wanna tell 'er, bla bla bla," I said imitating his voice, making him chuckle.