Chapter 24: False or Not

"Daddy, Mommy told me before that you are good at singing. I've been dreaming to hear you sing," Shekinah said while we were both lying on her bed.

"Do you want me to sing for you?" I asked.

"Yes, please," she said sweetly.

"What song do you want me to sing for you?"

"Mommy's favorite and my favorite as well, If We Hold on Together," she said, which made me stun for a moment.

That song . . . Demi and I used to sing that song when we were young. Actually, that was Lolo Max's favorite and he taught it to me, and I shared it with Demi.

"I wanna hear you sing it first, and I will sing together with you," I said.

"Okay," she said softly.

I smiled when she cleared her throat.

"Don't lose your way
With each passing day
You've come so far
Don't throw it away
Live believing
Dreams are for weaving
Wonders are waiting to start
Live your story
Faith, hope and glory
Hold to the truth in your heart . . ."

God, she has an angelic voice. Her voice made my eyes moisten. I couldn't help but stare at her while she was singing with a smile on her lips. Mukhang namana niya ang talent ko sa pagkanta. I was very happy to know that.

I decided to sing together with her in the chorus. She hugged me and I hugged her back.

"If we hold on together
I know our dreams will never die
Dreams see us through to forever
Where clouds roll by
For you and I . . ."

We both stopped after the chorus, only hearing our breaths.

"Mom was right. You are good at singing. Mom is out of tune but I still love singing together with her."

I smiled and let out a chuckle.

"What was your dream when you were a kid, Daddy?" she asked.

"My dream was to be a great drummer," I said with a slight smile on my lips. Every time I thought of that, natatawa talaga ako. That was not a usual dream for a little boy.

"Mommy told me that you are a great drummer now. I wanna see you playing drums one day."

"I'd love to show that to you." I kissed the side of her head. "How about you? What's your dream?" I asked her this time.

"I wanna go to heaven."

I gasped in surprise, but I tried not to make it obvious that I was shocked. "Why?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I heard Pastor Trent talking about heaven, and he said it's beautiful there. There will be no pain nor sicknesses. And angels live there, right? I wanna see them, Daddy." There was happiness in her voice while she was telling me that. I felt my eyes water. I wanted to cry but I controlled my emotion. I didn't want her to think that I was sad about her dream.

"B-but not now, baby. Daddy still wants to be with you."

"Me too. But if I'd be given a chance, I wanna go there. Pupunta ka rin naman doon 'di ba, Daddy? I'm gonna wait for you and Mommy."

Hindi ko na napigilan ang sunod-sunod na pagtulo ng mga luha ko. I hugged her a little bit tighter and weeped quietly. This time, I could say that I wasn't yet ready to lose her. Not now, please . . .

F A R A

"You mean Storm is always busy?" Kuya Tyler clarified.