Chapter 23: Make Things Right

F A R A

It was already early in the morning when we arrived home. Manang Linda prepared the breakfast for us and then we prepared ourselves for church service because it was Sunday today.

I dried my hair off and got dressed. I sat on the bed and then faced the mirror, looking at my reflection there. "The old Fara is coming back," I told myself with a slight smirk on my lips. My mood was getting vibrant.

"Yeah." I didn't expect it when I heard somebody speak. Storm was standing by the door and leaning against it. I stared at what he was wearing—a white closed-neck polo shirt, black pants, and a pair of white sneakers. He looked good.

Tipid na ngumiti siya bago lumapit sa akin at umupo sa tabi ko. Tumitig din siya sa repleka naming dalawa sa salamin.

"You're getting back." He smiled.

Tipid lang din na ngumiti ako. Tumayo siya at kinuha ang suklay para siya ang magsuklay sa buhok ko. "Are you ready to praise God?" he asked me while combing my hair.

"Y-yes?" I said, unsure.

"Then you and I must look presentable. That's how I highly honor God. I want to look presentable every time I go to His house."

"Do I look presentable?" I asked him, showing off my blue dress.

He stopped and checked me from head to toe. "You look gorgeous," aniya nang nakaangat ang sulok ng labi niya.

I felt a warm feeling on my cheeks. I was still not used to receiving compliments from him.

"But you have to wear something that may cover your shoulders."

Well, he was right. My shoulders were too exposed because the straps of my dress were thin.

I nodded. "Okay."

***

We attended the Sunday service. Everybody looked surprised when they saw us appear. They were so happy and they gave us warm greetings. Everything I felt, saw and heard was all familiar to me this time. The worship songs felt like shaking me. It could turn my sorrow into joy.

After the service, Storm and Pastor Alvin talked.

"There's nothing to worry about. I've been waiting for you to come back," Pastor told him.

"I'm sorry for being a wilful sheep," Storm apologized.

Pastor Alvin nodded slightly like he was accepting Storm's apology, and then he turned his eyes to me and smiled. "And now, you do a great job," he said and turned his eyes back to Storm.

Though Storm was a bit sad, he later slowly smiled as he looked at me. Tiningnan ko siya nang may pagtatanong. Umiling lang siya.

Pagkatapos nilang mag-usap, umuwi rin kami kaagad dahil may pupuntahan daw kami ni Storm, at hindi ko alam kung saan.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

I couldn't stop thinking about what Storm revealed to me last night.

"Our child died..." Something I could not get rid of my mind. It was so heartbreaking to know that Storm got Demi pregnant. But it was just for the meantime after I had seen the picture he showed me, which was their son's ultrasound. I saw the tears in his eyes while telling me the whole story about them. I never thought that he was worse than I'd ever thought. There was regret in his voice. I knew he loved the child in the picture. Of course, it was his son, his own flesh and blood.