Chapter 5: Expectation VS. Reality

S T O R M

Tyler brought me to the hospital where Fara was. We entered a room and there I saw Fara lying in the bed, unconscious.

I was dragging my feet as I slowly approached her and my breath hitched when I saw her up close. I couldn't believe that this girl lying in the bed was Fara. I swallowed as I felt something heavy in my chest while staring at her face. I had already noticed the changes in her appearance when I saw her at the business event last night and aminado akong hindi ko siya nakilala kaagad.

"She's experiencing depression for almost a year. She's always out of her mind. She slept lesser than before and would not even eat," Tyler said.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Fara. She was so thin and pale. But even though she looked different, her beauty was still recognizable. I pitied her and I was guilty because I knew I was one of the reasons why she came to this point.

I had an idea what kind of family she had, and what kind of life she had. During the short time of our marriage, I witnessed how thirsty she was for love, attention, and care.

I sat on the side of the bed and watched Fara's pale face. "How can I help her?" I asked Tyler without taking my eyes off the unconscious woman.

"I have a flight tomorrow. I'm going back to Las Vegas. I know you have a place in her heart and she will listen to you. Please, take care of her while I am not around."

"How sure are you? It's been a year..." I didn't think she still had feelings for me.

"I am sure."

"What if she doesn't want to see me anymore? You know what happened to us. She left me."

"She loves you."

I turned my head to him. "But I didn't love her back."

He heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry for forcing you in this, Storm. I know you're busy. But I can't handle her anymore. She's getting worse, Storm. So please, help me."

I saw pleading and worry in his eyes. I never saw Tyler like this. He used to be tough and cold like Tito Francis, but now, he was begging for his sister. I realized... Fara still had a family, or to be specific, a brother who cared for her dearly.

I admit that I hated Fara for leaving me without saying goodbye or at least leaving me a letter. I hated her for making me believe that she loved me yet she left me hanging during the time that I needed someone to lean on... someone who would encourage me and remind me who I was.

But my expectations just broke me into pieces. It wasn't the reality. She wasn't the wife whom I dreamed of. She was an unbeliever...

"Storm."

We had just finished handing out toys to the children, so we were currently putting away the boxes and clutters in the church. The kids were all happy with our Christmas gifts for them.

I turned my head to Christy. "Yes?"

"Can we talk?" she asked.

I paused from what I was doing and faced her. "About what?"

"It's important," she said with a serious expression on her face.