Chapter 12 - Keeping a Secret

I found Fara watching a movie on her laptop while lying on the bed when I entered our room. When she saw me, she put aside her laptop and sat up with a smile on her lips. Her lovely smile lighted up my melancholy mood.

"How's the reunion?" she happily asked me.

"It was fun," I said and then I sat on the bed.

Lumapit siya sa akin. Hinapit ko siya sa baywang at sinalubong ang halik niya.

"How about you? How's your exams?" I asked her when our lips parted.

"It was fine. I think pasado naman ako dahil nasagutan ko silang lahat," she replied.

I patted her head. "That's good then," I said, and then I stood up.

I took new clothes from my cabinet and decided to take a quick shower. After my refreshing shower, I climbed onto the bed and Fara was now shutting down her laptop.

"Let's pray," I told her before she was about to lie down again.

After we prayed, we both lay down on the bed. She pillowed my arm and hugged me; I hugged her back and gave her a soft kiss on the forehead. I didn't hear anything from her. I guessed she already fell asleep.

I heard my phone beeped, because it was placed on the wooden bedside table near me. Inabot ko iyon, at binasa ang text message. It was from Demi.

I already told her that you'll come to see her. She's so happy and excited. Thank you so much, Dylan.

Napangiti ako nang mabasa ko 'yon. I was also excited to see my princess, but at the same time there was a pang of pain in my heart when I thought of the reason why I needed to see her. She was suffering from Leukemia. She got the genes from Demi's family, the Perez family. Almost all of Demi's relatives died in cancer, including Kirby, because Kirby was a close relative of Demi.

I typed a reply.

And thank you for letting me know about her. I'm also excited to see her.

A while later she replied,

Tell me kung kailan ka pupunta.

I replied,

Alright.

She was sorry for keeping our daughter from me for a long time, but I understood. I really understood that she just wanted peace. That's was why she kept it a secret. But Luke 8:17 is right when it says, "nothing is secret that will not be revealed."

Although I wanted to tell Fara about this, I knew she wasn't ready for this. She was still on the process of overcoming negative thinking, and I was afraid that her depression might trigger again. Although she already recovered from it, Dr. Ryan told me to try my best to avoid telling problems to her, because depression really attacks when you stress out yourself by overthinking. I still had to study how would I handle this kind of situation.

***

After the Sunday service, Fara and I went straight to my parents' house to visit dad. I cancelled our plan to visit Eli at Tita Marie's place, because I really needed to talk to Dad. I was sure that he was home, because he was sick.

"I miss my grandson," Dad said referring to Eli.

We were now sitting on the couch while having a conversation with him who was sitting in the single sofa. He looked fine now, because his fever reduced. The maids prepared a pasta dish and poured us a red tea.

"We're going to visit Hacienda Ramirez this summer vacation. We'll take Eli with us," I said.

"That's good. I'll just talk to Roland to watch over the company while you are there."