Chapter 3: Defense

I was just lying prone on the bed while tapping my fingers on my fuzzy bedsheet. Because I was an irregular student, my schedule was irregular. I didn't have a class in the morning today.

I felt a little bit hunger, so I pulled myself out of bed and went downstairs to make a food. I looked for something to eat in the refrigerator, and the row of eggs caught my attention. I took one. Paano kaya lutuin 'to? I thought. I had survived yesterday because I ate at the school canteen.

Saglit akong nagsalang ng kanin sa rice cooker. Kinuha ko ang frying fan at saka sinalang sa gas stove. Nang uminit iyon, nilagyan ko ng mantika. I cracked the egg and poured it on the steaming oil. I watched the egg turned into white. When I turned it upside down, it was already brown. "Jeez!" I alarmed. Mabilis na pinatay ko ang gas stove dahil baka masunog din ang kabila. I moved it to the plate and then laid it on the table, but at the same time I heard the sound of the car outside the house. I was sure it was Storm, so I headed the maindoor. I saw his car parking in the garage. I just waited for him at the door.

When he saw me, he gave me his most captivating smile. I smiled back at him.

"Don't you have a class today?" tanong niya nang malapit na siya sa akin.

"Later," I replied.

He caressed my face and moved his head closer to me, giving me a kiss on the lips. His lips was warm and tasted of mint. He even smelled like his car's perfume. I was just about to answer his kisses when he suddenly departed his lips from mine and pulled my wrist, taking me to the kitchen. I just pouted my lips. "Did you ate breakfast already?" he asked. I shook my head. I noticed that he was holding a paper bag.

He let go of me when we got to the kitchen. He sat on the chair and released the paper bag on the table. Sinilip ko ang laman niyon. It was a toasted chicken.

"Thank God! It's a food," I said with relief in my voice.

"What's this?" Napabaling ako ng tingin sa kanya at nakita ko siyang hinila ang plato na may lamang pritong itlog na niluto ko kanina. "Ah, itlog pala," aniya at tila natatawa. "Not bad."

I just curled my lips.

"It doesn't have salt," I heard him say while I was preparing two plates for us and taking rice from the rice cooker.

My brows furrowed. "Kailangan ba?" nagtatakang tanong ko.

"Of course," he said, tittering. "Always put a salt when you want to make your dish tasty."

I pouted while putting the bowl of rice on the table. "I really don't know how to cook."

"It's okay. You can practice more," aniya at kinuha ang plato, pero bago pa man siya kumuha ng pagkain, nanalangin muna siya saglit.

While we were eating together, I couldn't help but ask him a question, "Aren't you disappointed?"

Napaangat siya ng tingin sa akin at naningkit nang kaunti ang mga mata niya dahil sa pagtataka. "Disappointed with what?"

"Disappointed in me," I said in a serious tone.

"Why would I?"

"Because I can't cook."

"So what?" he said with a half smile on his lips. "I didn't marry you to make you a cook." He looked at me straight into my eyes. "Stop thinking about that, okay?" he said in a soft voice, and there was sincerity in it.

I just nodded my head.

***

"It's Pastor Alvin's birthday tomorrow, and the leaders decided to celebrate it at the beach resort starting tonight. Susunduin kita mamaya. Ano bang oras ang labas ninyo?" Storm said while driving me to school.