Chapter 17: Now a Skeptic

Storm taught me how to pray. He said it will not be easy at first, pero masasanay din daw ako. He taught me the basic pattern of a personal prayer, which is the ACTS pattern. A for Adoration, C for Confession, T for Thanks Giving, and S for the Supplication. He said, in prayer you must adore God first, then confess your sins, then thank Him for all the good things He has done to you, then requesting to God is the last step, which is supplication. He told me to know God first through the Bible, so we read it together every morning.

"Is it true that God grants whatever you ask for in prayer?" I asked.

"Not at all. God grants what you ask for in prayer if it's according to His will and purpose. That's why Jesus taught in Matthew 6:9-13 how to pray, He mentioned 'Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.' God will only grant a prayer that has a good reason why he grants it. He's not like Genie. But He's a good Father who provides all the needs of His childen."

Then, he told me to know God first through the Bible, so we read it together every morning.

I was getting close to him, and it bothered me. After Ate Peachy had mentioned to me his past relationship with Demi, I became uneasy. I couldn't be attached to someone, especially to my husband, who was still in love with his ex-lover.

It was early in the morning and, just like our usual routine, we sat on the bed in his room while reading the book of John.

"For God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life..." I read the verse that he told me to read.

"Your Bible is translated in Good News Translation. In other translation: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Do you understand what it means?" he asked.

I shook my head and said, "I don't know."

"For God so loved the world... That 'world' represents the sinful humanity. He gave His only begotten Son... God sent His Son, Jesus Christ. Whoever believes in Him should not perish... That word 'perish' means hell," he explained. "Do you believe in hell?" he asked.

"Uhm... n-no," I answered.

He just nodded. "Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life... That 'everlasting life' means eternity or heaven," he continued. "Do you believe in heaven?" he asked.

"I don't know."

He sighed before lifting up the Bible through his hand. "Do you trust this book?" he asked again.

Hindi agad ako nakasagot. I thought for a while. "I-I don't know," I said in a confused tone.

I knew we had already talked about the credibility of the Bible, but I was just confused right now. And I felt weird for being confused. Was it because of Storm's beliefs or because of my worry that I would be hurt someday for letting him in and making me believe everything he believed in?

He put the Bible down on the bed and stared at me. "Listen. How would you know God if you do not trust His Word?"

"It's really hard to believe," I honestly told him. I was skeptic of what he believed now that he was introducing it to me bit by bit.