Chapter 1: Someone is Calling

S T O R M

In front of me, a big crowd was there, not minding the sullen sky and light rain. Preaching the gospel filled my heart with joy, a breakthrough I'd prayed for. Boldly, I shared the good news of Salvation with those who needed it, a beautiful moment despite the weather's gloom.

"Pastor!" a voice called out to me from the left side of the stage. Nilingon ko ito at nakita ko ang isang matandang nakaupo sa wheelchair. He wore a warm smile, and I couldn't help but return it.  "Tulungan mo ako," he told me.

I was more than willing to help this man. Lumakad ako patungo sa kanya. Malapit na sana akong makarating nang...

"Sir!" Narinig ko ang tinig ng isang babae. Napatigil ako at tiningnan ang paligid. Tiningnan ko muli ang matanda, ngunit wala na ito. Unti-unting lumabo ang paligid.

"Mr. Hunt..."

I slowly opened my eyes, realizing I had fallen asleep on my laptop. I looked up and saw my secretary staring at me. She was the girl I had fired before. "Sir, p'wede na po ba ako umuwi?" she asked.

"Uhm..." Tiningnan ko sa wristwatch ko kung ano nang oras. She was supposed to leave at exactly seven o'clock. "Yes. I'm sorry. Next time, just go home on time," I told her, sitting up straight and leaning back in my swivel chair.

"Okay, Sir. I just want to remind you that you have a business trip tomorrow."

Tomorrow is Sunday, and I am the preacher, I thought.

"Okay," I nodded.

She later left the office.

I gathered my things before heading out. Most of my employees had already left. I walked to the elevator, pressed the button for the ground floor, and checked my phone. I had a missed call and two messages from Fara.

My Love
0918*****42

6:35 PM

Where are you now?

7:30 PM

Will you come late?

I quickly replied: "I'm sorry, wait for me." I knew I had to pick her up; she had been waiting for an hour or more.
Mabilis na nilakad ko ang daan palabas ng building. "Good bye, sir!" the guard greeted me. I just nodded my head to him.

I ran heading the parking lot; and then I drove my car. Tumigil ako sa convenience store na malapit sa university kung saan ako palaging hinihintay ni Fara. I saw her sitting alone in one of the tables there while looking at her phone. A smile formed on my lips when I saw her frowning.

I approached her. "Fara."

Nag-angat siya ng tingin sa akin. Nang makita niya ako, tumayo siya. "Bakit ang tagal mo?" she questioned and then pouted her lips.

"I fell asleep at the office." I gave her a smack kiss on the lips. She hugged me, so I hugged her back. "Let's go," sabi ko bago ko siya hinila palabas ng store.

When we got home, Manang Linda prepared the food for us; we had a dinner together. I took a bath afterwards. Fara was on the bed when I went out of the bathroom. I lay down beside her.

"I miss Eli," she said while hugging me. She used to call our baby "Eli" because she said it was so cute to utter. Jireh Eli was in the care of Lolo Max and Tita Marie while Fara was studying. We were picking him up every Saturday to bring him with us in the church every Sunday. Now, we didn't have a chance to pick him up. We were both busy.