Chapter 22: Irresistible

After I'd heard Tita Thalia and Storm's conversation, it became hard for me to talk with Storm. I couldn't fall for a man who couldn't still get over his ex-girlfriend. But I was holding on to what he said: "Past is past."

However, I was still uneasy because I kept concluding with what would possibly happen if I let myself be close to him - but his kindness and charm were irresistible! He was so caring, thoughtful, and entertaining. To be honest, I always enjoyed his company. That was the reason why I decided to join him in his devotion. I just listened to him when he sang. His voice was fascinating. I couldn't describe it but it brought a chill to my soul. He was like singing a serenade for his God.

I believe that Storm could be a pastor. He prayed for an hour in the morning after seeking the Bible. Imagine that? One f*ckin―oh no! Not that "F" word.

We were currently talking about cursing or saying bad words.

"Stop cursing," he told me.

"What's wrong with cursing? It's just a reaction or expression," I reasoned.

"I know. I cursed before. But when I became a Christian, I realized that it's not good," he said.

"How?" I questioned with brows furrowed.

I watched him drink water. D*mn, he looked hot when he did that - wait, what the heck was I thinking about?

"That's why I told you to read your Bible. The Bible will teach you what is wrong and right," he said after drinking his water. "Do you read it?" he asked.

By the way, he gave me his Bible back again, and I accepted it without hesitation. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ganoon ang naging response ko. Ang alam ko lang ay ayaw kong maging sakit ng ulo niya. I thought I was no longer interested, but why did I-- whatever.

"Uh, y-yeah... sometimes," I said with a fake laugh.

Umiling-iling lang siya sa akin. Inabot niya sa akin ang cell phone niya. Nasa Bible app iyon. "Read Matthew 15:11. That highlighted verse with an orange marker," he commanded.

I read it aloud. "It is not what goes into your mouth that makes you ritually unclean; rather, what comes out of it makes you unclean."

"See?" he said and took his phone from me. "Always watch your words. People are always judging a person based on the words that he or she says. Even if you are an educated person yet cursing, people will still give you a bad reflection," he explained.

"But this is me," I defended.

"It's better to make a change than to be real if being real will just bring you to the lake of fire."

"F-fine," pagsang-ayon ko na lang.

***

My shoulders slumped as I stared at my test paper in my Taxation subject. My failing score was encircled at the upper right of the paper.

"Ten over fifty," I mumbled.

I hit the steering wheel and threw the paper on the passenger seat in frustration and disappointment with myself.

I'm such a failure! Open notes na nga, bagsak pa! Feeling ko tuloy ako na ang pinakabobong tao sa mundo.

I started the engine of the car and drove home.