Chapter 14: The Caller

Warning: Romantic scene (Again hahaha!)

STORM

We went to the square park in downtown San Francisco. Malapit lamang iyon sa bahay ng mga Frances. I knew that the child wanted to have a quality time with me, so Demi and I decided to take a walk with the child, until we reached this place.

We were now sitting on the grass while Shekinah was on my lap and I was hugging her.

"Daddy, hindi ka na ba aalis? Will you stay here?" she asked with a hoarse voice. Her voice was so soft and gentle. I knew she didn't feel well because of her illness.

I felt sad and worried about her question. I looked at Demi who was just watching us and listening to us. I saw sadness and bitterness in her eyes. I just sadly stared at her and pardoned through my eyes. I knew she wanted Shekinah's happiness by making me stay with them, but I couldn't grant that. I had a wife who was waiting for me to come home.

I heaved a sigh before I replied to Shekinah, "I need to comeback to Philippines because I'm working there. But don't worry, I'll come back here again." I decided to visit her twice a month.

"Okay. Bilisan mo, Daddy, ha? I'll really miss you," she sweetly said.

Napangiti ako. "Yes, princess."

"Uuh, don't call me princess. I don't want that," she complained. I knew she pouted her lips.

My brow cocked a little bit in curiosity. "Why? What do you want?" I asked.

"I wanna have wings. I wanna be an angel," she happily said. Lumingon siya sa akin kaya nakita ko ang ngiti sa labi niya. She was indeed an angel because she had an angelic smile.

I didn't know why sadness suddenly filled my heart because of the idea that she wanted to be an angel, probably because I knew she would really have become an angel when she didn't recover from her illness.

"So, do you want me to call you 'angel'?" I asked, trying to hide the sadness in my voice.

"Yes!"

"Alright, my little angel."

"Sounds good," aniya at tumango-tango. That made me chuckle in amusement. "Mommy, could you take a picture of us?" she suddenly requested to Demi.

Demi nodded her head and said, "Y-yeah, sure." I noticed that she had teary eyes, and she inconspicuously wiped her eyes through her fingers. I felt a heavy feeling in my chest in that view, and I felt like I wanted to hug her. Until now I still felt guilty for breaking all my promises to her.

She took her phone from her purse. After she set it on camera, she focused it on us. Shekinah and I both smiled and made different poses. I requested to Demi take a picture of us using my phone, so we did the poses again.

"Mommy, how about you? Let's have a picture together with Daddy," Shekinah requested to Demi.

I saw hesitation on Demi's reaction. But because I wanted to grant the child's request, I looked at her meaningfully, telling her to agree; and she nodded her head.

An american man passed by so we requested to him to take a picture of us. Demi sat down beside me; and then we readied ourselves for the picture taking. He took five shots.