Chapter 26: One Was Greater

Everybody threw their flowers on Shekinah's casket as the men lowered it into the ground. Demi was wailing like anytime she was going to pass out. Tita Lizah just hugged her while crying with her. All I could do was comfort them though I was also in a deep sorrow and brokenness as what they were. My eyes were already swollen because of too much crying. I just covered it with my shades.

I knew that I shouldn't mourn because Shekinah was with the Lord now, but like Demi, I wasn't yet ready to lose her. I had many plans that I wanted to do with my daughter, but unfortunately, she passed away too soon. That was the reason why pain was overshadowing the peace in my heart. I just prayed that God would take this pain away from me.

We went home afterwards. We found the house quiet.

"Maupo muna kayo riyan, ihahanda ko lang ang tanghalian natin," Auntie Jessie told us. Demi didn't mind what she said. She went straight to her room.

Kaming dalawa ni Tita Lizah ang naupo sa sofa at kapwa hindi kumikibo, kaya muling natahimik ang paligid. Ilang minuto pa lang ang nakakalipas, muli ko na namang narinig ang paghikbi ni Tita Lizah, and she was saying Shekinah's name. I just remained silent and let her cry. I thought she didn't need my comfort, she just wanted to express her longing for her granddaughter. When Auntie Jessie came back to us, she hugged her.

Their agony seemed endless...

Buong maghapon na hindi lumabas si Demi sa kwarto. We all got worried when she didn't want to eat no matter how much we tried to convince her. Tita Jessie just left a food in her room.

When evening came, Tita Lizah went to sleep because she felt dizzy already, she went to her room with Auntie Jessie, so I was left alone in the living room. Now, I was just sitting on the sofa alone. Medyo madilim na ang paligid ko dahil ang lampshade na lang sa gilid ang nagsisilbing liwanag rito.

This night would be my last night here. I wouldn't come back here anymore because I no longer had a reason to come back here. My loving daughter was already gone, and thinking about that made my eyes moisten. I could still picture Shekinah sitting beside me, listening to my stories. I could still remember her precious smiles. I could still hear in my mind her cute giggles and gentle voice. I missed her so much. That was the reason why I just found myself crying silently.

I was interrupted when I heard my phone rang. I alarmed when I saw that it was Fara. I calmed down myself and wiped my tears away through my handkerchief.

I answered the call, "Hello, my love."

"Storm..." she said softly. Hearing my wife's voice comforted me.

"Yes?" I responded sweetly, hardly keeping what my real status was.

"How are you?" she asked, which stunned me. Her question was so timely.

I closed my eyes and examined myself. I was so downhearted. The burdens in my heart was noticeable. That was the reason why I couldn't help but be emotional. I felt my tears stream down my face again.

I gulped before answering her, "I'm fine. How about you and Eli?"

"We're fine as well. N-napatawag ako dahil gusto lang kitang kumustahin. You aren't around for a week. I hope you're doing good."

I took a deep breath without making it obvious. "Thanks for calling me. I miss you and Eli. I'm so sorry for always leaving you and Eli. Don't worry, I'm already done with my business here. I'm g-going home tomorrow."

I bit my lip because I was struggling to control my emotions. I didn't want her to hear my cry.

"It's okay. See you soon. Take care always." There was joy in her voice.