Chapter 20: Undeleted Photos

S T O R M

"I hate this cold climate," Fara said, hugging herself. "I didn't know that it could be this cold."

I just let out a chuckle and lay down to take a nap for a while. I felt so tired and I knew she was, too. "Come here," I said as I tapped my side.

Her brows furrowed. "Why?"

"Let me warm you up."

Nag-aalinlangang tumingin siya sa akin bago lumapit sa kama at tumabi sa akin. I wrapped my arms around her, soaking myself in her warmth as she leaned closer to me. Hugging her lessened the coldness that I felt.

"I wanna go home na. Can we go home tomorrow?" she asked.

"Why? Are you not enjoying the camp?"

She shook her head. "It's not like that... Sleeping in the tent at night creeps me out."

Napatigil naman ako sa sinabi niya at napabuntonghininga na lamang.

I knew Fara wasn't completely recovered from her depression yet but at least she talked more this time unlike before, and the color of her skin was no longer pale.

I took her hand and held it. As I expected, it was colder than mine. "I want you to sleep here, pero hindi talaga p'wede."

Pumihit siya paharap sa akin at niyakap ako. "I know..." she whispered and then leaned her head on my chest.

I gave her a kiss on the head. "You know? Then why are you here?" nang-aasar na tanong ko.

I heard her chuckle, and that sounded like heaven in my ears. She looked at me with a little smile on her lips.

"I missed seeing your happy face," I said.

Iniwas niya ang kaniyang tingin dahil sa sinabi ko.

"Just always smile and avoid thinking about negative things. When you are scared, just close your eyes and pray. You're no longer the old Fara since the day that you believed in Jesus Christ. The Spirit of God lives in you now. And the spirit of fear is not from God, so cast it out. Use your faith and make it grow each day."

She smiled bitterly. "I wish it's just easy as one-two-three."

"Everything is easy with faith in God."

Nilingon niya ako at tinitigan. "Faith... What's the deal with faith? Why does God want our faith?"

"Faith is what pleases God because that's the proof that you are His."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Besides, it has a benefit for you. Faith lessens your worries. It means it will make you more beautiful," I said with a half smile on my lips.

She squinted her eyes at me. "What's the connection of being beautiful to faith?"

I let out a chuckle. "Ano bang hitsura ng taong laging nag-aalala?" I asked and also squinted my eyes at her.

Tila napaisip naman siya sa sinabi ko. "Malungkot?"

"What more?"

"Hmm..." Nag-isip siya muli. She glanced at me while her eyes were still narrowed and her lips curled down in thinking. That made me admire her cuteness while doing that. It took a few seconds before she seemed to find her answer.

"Nakasimangot?"

"See? May nakita ka na bang taong hindi pumapangit kapag nakasimangot?"

She smiled wider and I couldn't help but stare at her even more. She looked so beautiful when she smiles.