Chapter 8: Crazy People

Storm was singing on the stage while playing his guitar. The shouts of the crowd were so loud and they were jumping from where they stood like some frogs jumping in their places. The frolicsome neon lights were hitting my eyes and I had to close them for a moment.

I couldn't understand what they were doing. I just kept my mouth shut while watching the instrumentalists playing, observing their movements.

The song ended with a loud noise from the crowd and then the movements of the lights and the tempo of the music gradually slowed down. The sound became solemn. The piano was now playing alone.

I watched Storm's face while his eyes were closed and he was saying something. His forehead was gleaming in sweat.

"Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name

The sun comes up
It's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass
And whatever lies before me
Let me be singing
When the evening comes . . ."

Storm sang in a graceful, soft voice that could lead the listeners home. Because of this, I understood the lyrics' meaning. It seemed it was all about worshipping and adoring their God. I closed my eyes and listened to the message of the song.

"Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name

You're rich in love
And You're slow to anger
Your name is great
And Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness
I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons
For my heart to find

Bless the Lord oh my soul
Oh my soul
Worship His Holy name
Sing like never before
Oh my soul
I'll worship Your Holy name
Bless You Lord . . ."

My heart pounded faster because of the loud sound of instruments that followed. The whole place became so noisy once again. I didn't know what was going on anymore.

***

I listened to the speaker or their so-called "preacher" who was named Pastor Alvin. He just kept preaching about Jesus Christ, encouraging the listeners to believe in Him.

"Believe in Jesus Christ..."

No, I refused in my mind.

"God is not real. He's just an imagination of someone else," I still remembered Dad telling me when I was still young. The words stuck in me throughout my life that I became confused right now. This man preaching in the front was telling me to believe in someone my father was saying he's not real.

How will I believe in someone who's not real? I thought.

Hindi pa man tapos ang event, umalis na ako sa p'westo ko. I was about to exit the building when someone clasped my hand to stop me. I turned to that person, and paused when I saw it was Storm. "Where are you going? The service is not yet--"

"I have to go."

"But don't you want to finish the service first?"

"No," I didn't want to surround myself with crazy people.

An unreadable emotion emerged in his eyes that I couldn't figure out. Is he frustrated? Disappointed?

I gave him a weird look as I waited for him to respond. After a moment, he took a deep breath. "Okay, I'll drive you home."