Chapter 2: Life Sucks

"Are we going to live in the Philippines again?" I asked Kuya Tyler as we sat beside each other in the plane.

"Yes," he replied.

My brows furrowed in confusion. "Why?"

"It's not safe for you to stay in Las Vegas."

"Just me?"

"Yeah. Dad and I will go back to Las Vegas afterwards."

"You mean you guys will leave me here?" hindi makapaniwalang sabi ko.

"We have to..."

I just heaved a sigh and closed my eyes to sleep for a while.

Kuya Tyler and I were born in the Philippines, my Mom's home country, and we lived there until I reached the age of eight years old. Then we moved to Nevada because of Dad's job and lived here until I grew older. I was so excited to come back to the Philippines at first. I missed our house there. It made me reminisce the old times when we lived with Grandma in that house.

But knowing that I will be alone, my excitement turned into one of sorrow.

I looked at the window of the car and watched the raindrops splattering on it. We had just arrived from our flight and it was raining cats and dogs. Good thing we had our own car waiting for us at the airport. I wiped the glass of the window as it became blurry due to the moist from the rain.

I heaved a sigh again and rested my back before looking at Kuya Tyler who was asleep with a handkerchief covering his face. I gazed back at the clouds. Napakalungkot ng panahon, tila nakikiayon ito sa nararamdaman ko.

That moment when I broke up with Sam played on my mind...

"Are you okay?" Sam asked.

Ever since we arrived here at the restaurant, I was just quiet. It was our second year anniversary and we should be celebrating... but my plan was not to celebrate.

He held one of my hands that was on the table and I felt him squeeze it gently. "Are we okay?" he asked. Tila nakakaramdam na rin siya.

I stared at him before I had the courage to speak. "Let's break up," I said without emotion.

A long silence arose between us.

His hold on my hand loosened and then he laughed as if I was joking. "What?" he said between his laugh. "It's a prank, right?"

"It's not a prank!" I snapped.

He suddenly stopped laughing. The smile on his lips slowly disappeared and then he looked at me with confusion. "Fara..." he said with difficulty.

"You heard me! I said let's break up," I said with courage. I held back my tears and swallowed several times. I had to show him my tough personality in order to convince him that I didn't want him anymore, even though I really wanted to spend my whole life with him forever. He was all I had at this moment, but I had to let go of him for the peace of his life.

"Why?" he managed to ask.

"Can't you see? Our relationship is... boring! I'm already tired of hiding this secret," I lied.

"Then, let's not keep this relationship a secret anymore," he said and held my hand again, begging. I saw worry and fear in his blue eyes. "Don't worry, I'll fight for you. I promise." There was assurance in his voice.

I loved that idea but Dad wasn't joking when he said that he would kill Sam.

I shook my head. "No! Let's stop this! Let's end this!"