Chapter 7: Many Heartbreaks

F A R A

"Hindi mo ba gusto ang ulam?" Storm asked me. We were having dinner together but he seemed to notice that I was not even touching my food.

I slightly shook my head and started to pick on my food using my spoon.

Sometimes, I would glance at Storm. I've been wondering what was wrong with him, and now I knew what was missing from him. During the whole week that we were together, I never saw him pray before eating. Nakakapanibago rin na hindi niya bukambibig ang Diyos niya. And today was Sunday but he didn't go to church.

After we ate, I went straight to my room. After a moment, Storm entered my room while holding a glass of water. He put it on the bedside table.

Here we go again...

"Take this before going to sleep."

He left the room after telling me that. And it was my chance to do what I was usually doing. I stared at the two pieces of medicine in my palm. I slid my hand inside the pillow and put the medicine there. I drank the water so Storm wouldn't notice that I wasn't taking the pills he gave me.

I've been doing this thing for a few days now. This was the reason why I was still having a hard time sleeping, but I really didn't want to sleep. I kept having a nightmare and this feeling that somebody would shoot me while I was sleeping.

I covered my body with my blanket and just observed my surroundings all night. Ramdam ko na ang pananakit ng mga mata ko dahil ilang araw na akong hindi natutulog. Ang daming naglalaro sa isip ko na hindi ko alam kung paano ko alisin.

Hanggang sa hindi ko na namalayan na umaga na pala. I sat up and leaned against the headboard.

Tila ulit-ulit na lang ang proseso ng buhay ko. Sawang-sawa na ako sa ganitong umaga. 'Yong haharapin ko ang panibagong bukas na punung-puno ng kalungkutan at pag-iisa. I felt empty. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang dahilan ng pagsikat ng araw na ngayon ay sinisinagan ako.

"Do you believe that God made it?" I remembered what Storm had told me before. That was when our day together started. It was so memorable.

I felt tears streamed down my face. I wanted to pull back my tears but I couldn't. I just stared at the window where the light of the sun was entering my room. Wala akong pakialam kung masakit sa mata ang liwanag. I just wanted to see the sky.

If God is the creator of this thing, He's so wonderful, I thought.

"Where are You?" I whispered between my sobs. "If You are here, do something in my life."

***

I heard a phone ringing somewhere. It was not my ringtone so it must be Storm's. I didn't want to mind it but it was already getting annoying and noisy, so I got up even if my body felt heavy to end the call. The cellphone was on the sofa. I was about to get it when my eyes caught the name registered there.

Demi calling...

It just kept ringing until it stopped and was followed by a message that popped up on the lock screen.

Demi
Where are you now? I sent you the meeting place. Take care!

Malungkot na napatitig ako roon bago muling bumalik sa kama.