25 | Lights Down Low

Seaside, California October 23, 2012

Lillian

EVER since our last confrontation with Seana, I have thrown myself into prepping for the Homecoming dance.

This week has been a whirlwind, getting the decorations correct and finding the manpower to decorate our gymnasium before the dance tomorrow night has been a hassle. I had volunteered everyone to help out, the rest of the committee bringing their help. There were about thirty of us, frantically getting everything just right.

We had only decided the theme we wanted a little over a week ago. It would have been done in September but we all couldn't agree on a damn theme. Last year's homecoming theme was horrible; they did a '70s theme.

I had no part in that horror show. Cel loved it last year. Though ironically not a part of the decorating committee, it was Cel who had given me an idea; one based on her favorite painting.

Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. Everyone voted on unanimously.

I had made the guys start hanging stars, moons, and various beads down from the ceiling. Amberly had recruited some of the football team to do all that crap. Eddie, Brandon, and Zach were goofing off most of the time this past week.

Today most of the decorations were in place, now it was time to add balloons, make sure the lighting was correct, and that we had plenty of tables and chairs. The cloth and the table settings had to be perfect.

Cel was all mopey about having to be here after school ended. It was hard to get her to do anything. Despite her picking the theme, she just had no vision to make it a reality. When it came to anything decorative, she just stared blankly at it. She would much rather be training with her father on magic or going to that damn ice cream place.

Speaking of which, I still wondered what Scott did to clean up that mess.

I had put a distance between us, it was the only way I could focus on things because when I saw him my heart would race, and my face turned red. I couldn't even carry on a conversation with him without thinking about that feeling.

But he never was uncomfortable, he always had this calmness about him. Almost like he was keeping something under the surface. But whatever it was I didn't ask. We talked that night and things are what they are.

But maybe there will come a day when things will be different. Probably on a cold day in hell. Life loved to explode in my face at the best moments.

So here I was, with Amberly setting up the tables. Elle was in charge of finishing the floral arrangements. School had ended not that long ago, so some of the helpers have yet to arrive.