5 | Before I Go

Seaside, California September 4, 1994

Scott

MONTHS flew by in a blink of an eye. With it, the house slowly regained its original beauty. I rebuilt the porch, this time with sturdy nails that should last another century. I still had the bulk of my inheritance from my parents, and with that, I was able to hire help to get the place back into shape. The house still stuck out like a sore thumb though.

It was just a few short weeks ago before everything came together. The pink bathroom tile was now thankfully eradicated. We kept the dark wood paneling on the walls. Adelaide had her cousin Laura come in and help with the decorative tastes of the house. Now all I could say was that nautical and blue threw up everywhere. Adelaide loved it, so that was all I cared about.

Ever since we came here, we've settled into some form of normal. A mundane life.

But it has been just what I always wanted. 

I just got back from my evening run; the weather just started to turn bad as I walked into the doorway. Adelaide was sitting in the living room, a blanket wrapped around her as she watched the television.

She turned her head and smiled, "Just in time for Jeopardy, how was your run?"

I hung my wet coat up on the rack behind the door and pulled my soaked boots off. 

"It was nice before it started raining," I replied. 

I slumped down onto the couch beside her and wrapped my arm around her as she scooted closer to me.

Adelaide rested her head against my shoulder. "These people know nothing of history."

I glanced at the television, seeing Alex Trebek asking the contestants about some books from the 17th century. Interesting topic, though I knew hardly anything about that time. Adelaide would, she lived through all of it.

We watched Jeopardy till it was over. Adelaide then went into the kitchen for some reason. So, I started switching through the channels mindlessly; nothing interesting was on. Then I heard a drawer being opened, I hoped she wasn't trying to cook something again. She was amazing at everything she did, except cooking.

"Everything okay in there?" I called out jokingly. She didn't reply.

The sound of a car engine getting cut off sparked my attention; it sounded like it was in our driveway. I kept listening, I could hear the footsteps of people coming up the driveway.

The hell? We were not expecting any company tonight.

Adelaide sped back into the living room; brandishing a very large knife. She glanced at me, her expression frantic. I jumped up from the couch confused.