45 | Bloody Roses

Seaside, California April 16, 2013

Lillian 

FLASHES of what transpired at Zach's went through my mind. One minute I was begging Scott to leave, then I was standing over my father with his katana. I had him backed into a corner.

I had never seen him so frightened before in my entire life. 

Who the hell had I become? Was I even myself anymore? 

Chaos erupted around us, Cel and Zach had disarmed me and forced me to the ground. I remember Scott looking mortified

I just tried to kill my own father. 

All I wanted at that moment was for this to end. 

Then my father used his magic to seal mine and I woke up here in my bedroom, my mother sitting beside me. Her eyes were red from crying. 

She and my father got into a heated argument. It ended when she told him to get the hell out and she wanted a divorce. 

She tried to unseal my magic, but whatever ancient spell that was my mother couldn't undo it. Only he could. 

A part of me didn't even care anymore. My magic was two things, a strength that saved me countless times and a weakness when it consumed me. When it consumed me, all that was left was death and destruction. 

Sitting here watching my classmates hollering and having a blast was making me feel more distressed. I already shooed away all my friends, their pitying looks weren't helping me either.

I should've just stayed home. It was only through my mother's coercive nature that I came to this God-Forsaken prom. 

She dolled me up, she didn't want me to miss my senior prom. She pulled me into her bathroom and started braiding my hair and did some low bun with it. After an army of bobby pins and a decorative hair stick getting stabbed through it, it did look beautiful. She left some strands of hair to dangle on the sides of my cheeks. 

I tucked those behind my ear the moment she dropped me off here. I kept fidgeting with my earrings, or I would tap my foot to the beat of whatever was playing over the speakers. 

I caught glimpses of my cousins, they all were dressed to the nines. Elle was the last one to leave me at the table we claimed. She was wearing an ice-blue gown. Out of everyone, I thought she looked the most beautiful. 

How someone didn't ask her to prom I never understood. She probably scared them all away with her recital of the square root of pie. That was her go-to method of warding off dates. 

Tomorrow was her birthday. I knew she had been waiting patiently for it, but I could always sense an unease about her. We were all nervous before our eighteenth birthday.