6 | The Reckoning

Seaside, California February 10, 2005

Lillian

NIGHTFALL had already fallen across Seaside. I gazed out the car window, the trees flashed by as Dad drove. The wipers ran back and forth across the windshield of Dad's black Chrysler 300, rain had poured across the town all day. I was strapped into my booster seat; I couldn't wait to out-grow this thing. I was almost 10 but my height was still an issue. I, Lily Rezza, was an inch, one inch from being free of this thing, I just had to grow to 4'8, and then I would be free!

Mom and Dad going to go visit Dad's friend Mr. Pierce. His son Zachary had been a friend of mine for ages, but I rarely got to see him. They had just moved back from Texas about a week ago. We would go visit them sometime during the Summer.

However, I was being taken to my cousin Celesta's house, her mother and mine were distant cousins. She was my best friend; everyone always called her Cel. Just like people just usually called me Lily. Lillian was a mouthful! Cel and I used to share a crib all the time, she was like my sister. I wish she was my sister; she was like my other half.

"Mom?" I asked, she was murmuring something to my Dad. She turned, a smile on her face.

"Yes honey?" she replied.

"Why can't I just go with you guys? It would be nice to see Zach again, it's been almost a year!" I said, making my bottom lip go up in a pout. Worked every time for an extra cookie. 

My father glanced at me through his rear-view mirror. "We have to go take care of important business honey, and it's something I rather you were not around."

"Samuel," Mom muttered.

My father muttered something under his breath in Spanish.

Whenever my parents had to go somewhere, secret, I couldn't come. I knew why they had to deal with certain things. Witch things.

"When you're old enough, you'll know," Dad replied. 

It was odd, that witches didn't get any magical abilities till they were 18, I was told of my heritage three years ago when I was finally able to understand what would happen in the years to come.

"I already know what we are, I know that you two are enforcers of the Hathaway Coven for Nana with Cel's parents and other people..." I muttered, leaning my head back against the backseat. My distant cousins Amberly and Elle were also like us. "I know Zachary and his family are werewolves, so what's the big deal?"

Mom turned her head back around, "There is more to it, sometimes it's dangerous."

"I know," I replied, my gaze wandering to the side window, rain droplets blurred my view. Our house was along the coast of the town, on the bay. Cel's was further inland, we had to cross the main bridge to get to her house. We drove down the long strip of woods, it was only two lanes, though I saw something flashing in the distance, hazard lights from a car. As we got closer, Dad started slowing down the car.