8 | The Glimpse

Seaside, California September 1, 2012

Scott 

SEVEN years flew by like nothing, I have lost count of how many times I've tried, and failed, to find that murderous psychopath. Seana had led an attack that wiped out Markus' pack. Seana killed his wife right in front of their son and Samuel's daughter. Then, I did something indescribably idiotic.

All I had to do was hesitate for the slightest second till my arm was snapped in a direction that would make someone hurl. The only thing that stopped me from going after her was the sound of screams. That night turned into utter hell.

"I'm stronger than you, don't forget that." were her last words to me. She had eighty years on me, we get stronger with age, though pure rage could even the playing field.

I stayed around to keep an eye on Zach to make sure he was safe. I knew one day Seana would return. She was hell-bent on wiping out his family line. But ever since that night, there has not been a trace of her. She could have been dead for all I knew, the last lead Markus and I had on her was five years ago, which turned into a dead end.

Markus had seeped into depression for years, coming in and out of it, he had become more hardened and distanced himself from his son. In return, I took it upon myself to raise Zach when his father was off and about trying to rebuild their pack.

Zach is a great kid but when he was going through puberty and having a bad aggression problem flair up, he liked to get cocky.

Though he outgrew that; slightly.

He never had any childhood friends except for Samuel's daughter. But after that night seven years ago, Samuel and Laura took their daughter and never came back. Markus had told me that Samuel decided to step away from their coven and all things supernatural. That included even speaking to his friend.

I understood their reasoning to protect their child, but Zach had also lost his mother that night. You would think after years of friendship Samuel would've been there to help Markus and console him. Hell, even Laura had been close to Aria.

They came to Aria's funeral at least.

But despite all the trauma that Zach endured, he had grown up with a good head on his shoulders. Yet now at 17, he decided that he wanted to go to an actual school and graduate. Homeschooled his entire life, and the kid decides now, that he wants to go to public school.

There was a reason he was homeschooled. Younger werewolves sometimes have issues with shifting. They can't control it sometimes, especially in their outbursts of anger. An occasional flicker of glowing eyes, or accidentally turning into a wolf in public would raise some eyebrows.