52 | Beyond the Brink

Seaside, California April 26, 2013

Scott

I hoped Samuel wouldn't mind that his Chrysler's transmission was shot now as we raced back to Seaside. I could already smell the burnt engine oil as well. 

But we have more significant problems than that now. 

First, I got a phone call from Celesta about Cynthia still being alive just a few minutes ago.

Then after we sped up even more, Lily noticed a figure running on the side of the road. It was Elle's brother Kenny. The place was at least five miles from where they lived.

"Stop the car!" Lily cried, the tires squealing in protest as I slammed on the brake pedal. 

Kenny suddenly turned, gawking at us once he saw Lily jumping out before I came to a complete stop.

"Lily?!" he exclaimed. 

"What the fuck are you doing out here by yourself?!" Lily shrilled, yanked him by the arm, and dragged him toward the car. 

"Going to save my sister! I heard Cel over the phone talking to Amberly's aunt! She told us to just stay put but there is no way I am staying out of this!" Kenny shouted and finally ripped his arm out of Lily's grasp. 

"Yes, you are!" Lily reprimanded. "You are only 15! You don't have your magic yet, how do you expect you can help us?"

"Uh, Lily how about just take the kid with us and get there?" I shouted out to them.

Lily just glared at me. 

Kenny just smirked and hopped into the front passenger seat. 

Lily angrily opened the back passenger door and slammed it shut. I just gave her a reassuring smile through the rearview window. She just looked at me with contempt.

He was better off with us than running in the dark with psycho vampires around. I just let my foot off the brake and drove onward. 

"I can help, maybe seeing me will help bring Elle back," Kenny proudly suggested.

"Or she will see you and try to kill you like she did my mother," Lily remarked. 

None of us said anything after that. 

Up ahead I noticed the gates of the lighthouse were opened. If Celesta and everyone had been keeping their eyes on this place, why was no one here when Seana showed up?

I heard another engine accelerating behind us, a red dot that only I could make out as anything. 

Celesta's Camaro.

We came to a screeching halt when we saw an abandoned car with the trunk open. I see Seana stole another older car. 

All three of us jumped out, Kenny looking around the car for anything suspicious. Lily went around toward the trunk, her eyes widening.