37 | Down the Rabbit Hole

Seaside, California March 16, 2013

Scott

NOBODY said that this was going to be easy. While these past few months have been peaceful, it had not been without some struggles. It was easy to win over Laura, she was thrilled with the fact that her daughter was finally happy. 

I could see how happy Lily had become, though I knew she was still recovering from what Isabel had done to her. She wouldn't talk about it, but that distant look she would get was enough to tell me. 

And all I could do was be there to comfort her and help her get through it. 

What hadn't been easy, was her family's acceptance of her dating a vampire. 

Her father at least acknowledged me, though he would always find an excuse to go do something when I came over. To say it didn't bother me would be a lie, but I couldn't help what I was. 

Nor could he forget how he was raised. 

Last December, when I came for Christmas, I had the pleasure of seeing Celesta's father again. I didn't know how Zach could get along with him, apparently, they became pretty close since he was going to dinner there almost every evening. 

The moment I set foot in that living room, let's just say pleasant words were not exchanged. It got to the point that Laura finally told him to leave her house and to forget about being welcome back. I don't know if that caused a drift between Lily and Celesta's mother or not. 

Celesta did tell me not to even worry about it since her father hated vampires, and seeing a witch be with one would in her words, "give him an aneurysm". I guess it's a good thing Zach was a werewolf and not a bloodsucking demon. 

We had another problem yet to face though, Lily's decision to join her family's coven in a few days. 

Her parents had rejoined months ago as enforcers, so they were gone often. And when they were gone she was with me at my house. Just like we were tonight. 

You could tell she practically lived here now. I always kept the house clean, but I noticed it was now too clean. Everything was straightened, dusted, vacuumed, mopped; you name it. My fridge was no longer filled with just blood, but now had every vegetable and fruit you could think of in it. 

She also found some photos I kept locked away of my family and when I was younger. She had me hang those on the wall. And the one we took at my surprise birthday party.

I still don't know how that many balloons fit in that house.

She was curled up beside me on the couch, though she passed out not long ago.

I couldn't find anything interesting on the television. Finally fed up with it, I just turned it off and sighed. 

Then, a vibrating noise was coming from the coffee table. It was Lily's phone.