39 | Crystal Eyes

Seaside, California March 18, 2013 

Lillian 

THEY say at eighteen you are officially an adult. Well, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Especially how I felt right now.

After I nearly killed everyone at the coven meeting, I had been restricted from using any magic. And from leaving this house. 

I felt like a child. Even Scott was smothering me. 

Everyone had been so worked up over my condition instead of realizing that my father had literally been beaten up to a pulp. Even now as I glared at him across the living room, his left eye was still swollen shut.

When he would move just slightly, a string of curse words in Spanish followed. 

Why didn't he just let Scott heal him?

My mother had been with Francis most of the morning, going over the initiation process so I could join our new coven. I still didn't understand how it was possible that we could even create our own coven. 

Francis was the elder of our coven centuries ago, so he had undergone that ceremony that grants a witch the ability to create connections or cords, as Cel described to me. The whole thing sounded strange, but this would help ground my magic. 

Cynthia and a few others had joined our little coven, my parents decided to lead it together though neither of them had the ability of an elder; at least yet. They were waiting till after the settling before doing anything.

That was another thing, I could barely use my magic now. How could I make it through later today without dying? Cel told me it felt like every vein in her body was on fire, she was still weakened from it. 

Sitting right next to me now on the couch, her face had lost most of its color. Yet she told me her magic felt the calmest it's ever had. And her eyes no longer glowed when she used her magic. 

I just hope I had the strength to survive the settling. The collective power a coven had was my only salvation now. 

Or that other option.

The mere thought of becoming a vampire honestly hadn't crossed my mind until two days ago. 

I looked down at the floor, wondering what my future with Scott would be like. It would only end in two ways. 

My eventual death since I was human or I became like him. The latter I don't think I could ever do. 

All I felt now was dread.