20 | She's Like the Wind

Seaside, California October 14, 2012 

Scott

EVER since school ended, I had been keeping an eye on Lily, making sure Seana was nowhere near her. Zach and Celesta were off doing something with one another, though they were most likely at his house.

When Lily sent a message saying she'd be on her way to write the paper, I left and ran to my house. I was shocked to see my car parked in the driveway, the keys on the driver's seat. It was nice Zach left them right there, just for anyone to walk by and drive off into the sunset with my Camaro. 

I noticed, however, that there was a burnt rubber smell around my car. I walked closer to inspect the tires, the smell getting stronger. 

Son of a bitch.

I felt my phone vibrate from a text message. 

'Thanks for the car, Bud. Cel and I did some burnouts with it, I hope you don't mind. Anyways, good luck tonight ;)' - Zach

"This is what I get when I let someone use my car," I muttered. 

I grabbed the keys and went inside my house. All the houses surrounding mine were beige beach houses, while mine stuck out like a sore thumb. Sure, the outside looked like shit and my neighbors always complained. Never to my face though, I could hear them like mice in the walls, always squeaking about the mysterious neighbor who never came out of his house.

I didn't have any grass; everything around here was fucking rocks or sand. My house was right on the beach, all you had to do was walk a bit through the shrubs, they were overgrown.

Tonight, I needed to find out what Seana did. I knew she had that girl Isabel enthralled, as well as Maggie. Now it turns out she has been messing with Brandon, who unfortunately for him I could care less about. If anyone wasn't around at that time earlier, I would've taken great pleasure in breaking every bone in his body. Maybe a little too much.

Breaking another vampire's compulsion was impossible. In this case, however, I just had to trigger Lily's memory of it. But first, we had to finish the paper for our class. It was easy, our topic was on the U.S. economy of the '70s. I lived through it. So, I went ahead and wrote most of it myself. 

A week ago.

However, the ending and some parts still needed revision. I heard a car's engine pull up the driveway, the headlights briefly flashing through the living room's curtains.

"Here goes nothing," I sighed. Grabbing my bag off the counter, I dumped out the notes Lily and I had written over the last few days. 

I hoped that perhaps the compulsion would wear off on its own. The better question was, why would Seana even compel her to forget in the first place? Everything to Seana was a game.