9 | Where We Started

Seaside, California September 4, 2012

Lillian

I knew I was dreaming. It was almost realistic, I could feel the moist air from the rain, but something was different about me. I felt noticeably shorter. That, and I was in the middle of the woods at night. This felt like a horror film in the making. I heard the rustling of leaves from behind me, I turned quickly, my heart pace quickening in fear.

I waited silently, all I heard was my breathing, then, two neon blue eyes appeared in the brush in front of me. As they came closer, the sounds of deep growls followed each time I took a step backward. I turned in a flash, till something knocked into me, sending me flying into the dirt.

I felt sharp claws dig into my arms, then screams piercing through the air. But then the screams changed, to a distinct ringing sound.

MY eyes shot open, turning groggily towards my phone that was blaring the most annoying tune I could find

MY eyes shot open, turning groggily towards my phone that was blaring the most annoying tune I could find. Groaning in protest, I hit the snooze button on the alarm. Why did I have to wake up so damn early?

I slowly pulled my coral comforter off me and yawned. Then my dream from last night flashed back into my mind. It was the same one I had been having for the past couple of days. Glowing blue eyes, something attacked me, and then I woke up. 

But it started to happen that night after I saw Zach again at the park with his friend Scott. I hadn't seen him in seven years since his mother's funeral. Ever since then, I started dreaming about glowing eyes and claws, werewolves. I knew Zach was one as were his parents, but why was I dreaming of being attacked by them? My dreams never made sense anyway, I've had far worse dreams that I never wanted to remember.

I disconnected my phone from its charger, Cel had already messaged me 100 times. Mostly about how I had to come to pick her up before school. Her car had for some unforeseen reason decided not to start. Probably the battery, her car was old.