42 | The Killer

Seaside, California April 1, 2013

Celesta

AFTER visiting Redmond college this past weekend, I still had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Graphic designing or computer crap interested me the most. Zach and I were always playing video games whenever we could at his house. 

We were on our way back to Seaside now, I was sitting in the middle row of Laura's SUV, even with the seat all the way back and Cynthia almost pushed up into the dashboard my legs were still cramped as hell.

Poor Zach, he looked so squished. 

We left bright and early, thanks to Elle's obsession of getting home before noon. That, and Laura and Cynthia had a client coming in this afternoon. We were about an hour out still, we had loaded up on snacks and drinks before we left Lavender Coast. 

I was stuffing Cheetos into my mouth when Zach's phone started to blow up with text messages. He opened his phone, his eyes scanning through them quickly. He shot me a quick glance, his eyes filled with panic. 

Before I could ask him what was wrong, he punched a button and held the phone to his ear. 

"Zach...?" I trailed off setting the Cheetos to the side. 

He took the phone from his ear. Now frustrated, he mashed the button again. 

Whoever he was trying to call wasn't answering. Zach started texting back to whoever it was furiously now. 

"Lily, can you try and get a hold of Scott?" Zach asked quickly and resumed texting. 

"Okay?" Lily gawked and pulled out her cell phone. "Why?"

"Children?" Laura murmured, she was glancing in her rearview window at all of us. "Is something going on we should know about?"

"William just texted me and said he found my father unconscious in the shed, and I tried calling Scott to head over there since we are still an hour out," Zach shot out quickly. 

"Is your dad alright?" I pressed.

"William said he is just passed out," Zach muttered. "And that there was blood on the ground, but it's not his."

What the hell happened when we were gone? 

"He won't answer me either," I heard Lily cry. "We need to get back!"

Zach turned to Lily and quickly grabbed her hand, squeezing it with reassurance. "Everything is going to be fine, alright?"

Lily just nodded, her eyes reddening now from crying. He let her hand go and went back to texting on the phone.

Elle scooted closer to Lily and pulled her into a side hug. 

I could hear the engine accelerating now, just as Laura's grip on the steering wheel tightened.