14 | Lost in the Years

Seaside, California September 5, 2012

Lillian

I sat on a wooden stool; the paper on the easel in front of me was blank, just like the blankness that took over my mind. I sat away from everyone, taking up the back corner of the room. Elle was only a few seats away, there were only eight other people in there, and others from previous years weren't as dedicated to the arts to take the class again.

Everyone else had already gotten half of their drawing done, while I sat there staring into space. We were supposed to be creating whatever drawing that we could come up with. Elle was drawing some kind of flower, it looked like an orchid. I felt numb inside, usually, I always had creative ideas spilling through my mind; could the ring just be blocking more than just my magic? Hell, I didn't even feel any resentment for Brandon, who was drawing some weird-looking rodent.

I started twisting the band around my finger, till I slipped it off, my body jolted as I felt my magic hum back to life inside me. I grabbed a graphite pencil from the ledge of the easel. My hand started to move the pencil across the page with a mind of its own, till I rapidly began to scrawl lines going in various directions. My sight was elsewhere, deep in the recesses of my mind, looking at the half-hidden face in shadow from the past; though the dark soulless-looking eyes were prominent.

I stopped after the entire page was covered, the pencil slipped in between my fingers as I took in what I drew, gasping as I did so. 

"Scott?" I whispered, why the hell would I have drawn him? 

The drawing was a replica of my memory, though the face seemed slightly blurry on the page, I knew it was him. I had to find him later and find out more about all this crap that is going on. I felt a presence come up behind me, turning, I saw Mr. Hathaway assessing my work. He was a distant relation from my grandmother's side and part of the coven. Even if he was family, something was off about him.

"I admire the detail, it is amazing how quickly you were able to draw such a piece," he chuckled; maybe I was on drawing steroids. "If I may ask, who is in the drawing?"

"I-I am not sure," I stammered. "Probably just someone I saw from somewhere." 

I averted my gaze from him to the ring on the easel, I knew it wasn't a good idea to take it off.

"Lily, if I may give a word of advice," Mr. Hathaway began, my eyes widened as he grabbed my ring, examining it. "I wouldn't wear something like this, especially not how things are right now."

I gawked, did my mother tell him what was happening?

"It would be in my best interest to wear it, especially around others," I replied. Holding out my hand I added, "Don't you think?"