18 | Bitches and Cleats

Seaside, California October 14, 2012

Celesta

THE sun was scorching down on the football field. With the concrete track surrounding the field, it seemed even hotter. Zach was out on the field with Eddie, and Brandon had yet to show his face. Amberly was with a group of girls attempting to try out for the cheerleading squad. She was with Maggie, making the girls do a series of drills. Elle had decided last minute to attempt to get on the team, but she had already busted her ass ten times.

Zach seemed to be doing great, Coach Jennings especially seemed to favor him over the other recruits. Lounged on the bleachers beside me was Scott, his arms behind his head and sunglasses on, without a care in the world. Lily was supposed to be here, but she had messaged me that Mr. Hathaway needed her for something, so lord knows how long she'd be.

"What is the coach saying about Zach?" I asked Scott, even though he seemed like he was relaxing, I knew he was picking up on every conversation around us.

"They want him on the team, but I think Zach is having second thoughts," he sighed, "He keeps muttering things under his breath. I can't pick up on it though."

"So he is just speaking gibberish?" I questioned.

"Basically," Scott muttered. "The coach just said he is going to be on the starting lineup as a receiver."

"That's great!" I smiled and gazed at Zach who was beside Eddie. I looked down at my phone, Lily's most recent message was from over twenty minutes ago. "Where the hell is Lily? She should've been here by now. I'm going to go look for her."

"No need, she's coming," Scott murmured. 

I saw Lily walking with Brandon, my expression turned into a grimace. 

"So, what was the reason they split?" I heard Scott inquire.

"He dumped her for Isabel Florence and broke her heart for no fucking reason. After I found out, I gave him a nice black eye," I snickered. "Actually, it happened just in time for picture day."

"You seem to enjoy partaking in violence, don't you?" Scott chuckled. 

I nodded in response and gave him a fake innocent smile. 

"Remind me to not get on your bad side then," he added. 

"Brandon, please don't get involved with her," I heard Lily pleading with Brandon as they drew closer, right in the range where I could hear.

"Lily, why does it matter if I hang with someone? Like it's any of your business. Can you stop nagging me about Seana?" Brandon seethed. 

Scott and I hopped off the bleachers after that.