16 | Straight For the Kill

Seaside, California October 14, 2012 

Celesta 

LIFE seemed to return to normal. Well as normal as we could get. It had been just a little over a month since the fight with Seana. It seemed like she vanished altogether, though I knew she was here. I caught glimpses of her with Isabel. However, it seemed like Maggie became the forgotten third wheel, I barely saw her with Isabel anymore. Like I cared, they were both self-absorbed airheads.

I did care, however, that Seana compelled them. Those two were the queens of the school and to follow some new girl around within the first week of school mindlessly was not normal.

Lily, Scott, Zach, and I were sitting outside on the patio. It was our lunch hour, a time when I was able to divulge myself on our school's mashed potatoes. I didn't care that everyone else said they tasted like cardboard. Mrs. Kirby, the lunch lady who looked 1000 years old, made them.

Lily was to my right, talking to Scott about their project for their economics class. The two of them did seem to get along easily. I did notice, however, that he kept a slight distance from her whenever they were sitting close together. He didn't avoid her like the plague, he acted reserved. He acted that way around everyone.

I was also glad Lily's mother was giving her lessons on how to use her magic. Despite her appearance of control, I knew her magic was still a ticking time bomb. It was deeply linked to her emotions, so I hope her mother was focusing on that. My father was teaching me stricter disciplines lately as well, though it was no trouble to learn. 

I've been learning about it since I was a child. 

As I was happily stabbing my mashed potatoes, I heard Lily whisper into my ear. "So when are you and Zach going on a date?"

I almost choked on my food. I haven't told anyone!

"What?" I asked, clearing my throat. 

Zach glanced at me bug-eyed. 

"Oh, come on! All week you two have been acting weird! You two make it so obvious. Both of you just sit there and stare at each other during gym class!" Lily exclaimed. 

Everyone except me and Zach laughed.

They all thought we were dating. Of course, we texted one another constantly, but we haven't actually started to officially date.

"No, we don't," I muttered. "Besides we get to play volleyball today. Ready to lose again to the Queen Bees?" 

"Isabel and Maggie will not win this time, I know it!" Lily replied happily. "Don't change the subject, I know you two are secretly dating. Just admit it already!"