13 | Promises

Seaside, California September 4, 2012

Celesta

I could feel myself being roused from my slumber, first I heard the chatter of someone saying my name repeatedly. Something swiped across my face, causing me to jolt awake with a yelp. My hand reached for my now stinging cheek, I saw Lily standing at the edge of the living room couch, grinning at me like a retard. We had a pact, when we were children, we had a habit of slapping each other across the face to wake one another up. It was stupid I know but we were eight.

"Did you have to slap me?" I grumbled. 

It was just us in the living room. The sun blazed through the tall bay windows; the vaulted ceiling was as tall as the house. Lily came and sat beside me, she looked better than she did earlier. I wish today was just a dream, but I felt something deep inside me, magic wanting to come to life under my skin, it felt destructive.

Getting up from the couch I asked, "Do you feel it too?"

Lily glanced down at her hands which were trembling. "I might be feeling it more than you, I've been a shaking mess for the past hour. My mother is making us rings to deactivate our magic," she replied. "She said it would stop my nightmares."

This whole keeping Lily in the dark was ridiculous. Her mother, her father, Scott; everyone was lying to her. It was stupid. She was like a sheep surrounded by wolves.

"I'm sure that will solve everything," I muttered sarcastically. 

Looking around the living room, I noticed something odd. The mantle to the fireplace was bare, the usual glass objects Laura had were gone, and even their large flat screen was missing. Every breakable object was out of sight, expensive ones anyway. They could have just put us in a bedroom instead of moving everything.

It wasn't like Lily and I was causing things to explode randomly. Yet.

I looked out the window, their pool was to the right of the deck. The deck had a beautiful view of the ocean, especially since they lived up the cliff-side.

"What happened after I passed out?" Lily asked. "I know Scott brought me home somehow, but the bastard just walked out the damn door when I woke up."

"Yeah instead of using a car like a normal person he just ran 10 miles home with you," I chuckled.

"What?" she gawked, "How the hell would he do that?"

I no longer cared what everyone thought or said, she was finding out now.

"Uh because he's a vampire?" I quipped.

"He is a what?" Lily gasped, her entire body becoming rigid.