15 | Out of the Woods

Seaside, California September 5, 2012

Lillian

AFTER the ham was completely gone, Zach moved on to eating a tv dinner, there wasn't much in the fridge anyway. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he even started to eat the fridge.

We attempted to ask what the hell was going on, but Zach was consumed in eating every piece of food in sight. The only thing that made him look up was the front door opening.

A towering man walked through the door, I noticed the uncanny resemblance between the two, Zach was the spitting image of his father. Though the latter had completely gone gray.

"I believed you calmed down now I take it?" Markus asked. He didn't even seem surprised to see two random girls in his house.

"Yeah, I have. Thanks for leaving me in there all damn day," Zach spat and took a step away from the counter.

"You know why I did it, you've never had any control over when you shift," Markus sighed, his expression darkening. 

I felt my hand reach up to my shoulder, my finger tracing the faint scar I knew was there underneath my jacket. 

His father turned his attention to me, his eyes widening in surprise slightly, "You're Samuel's daughter, aren't you?"

"Yes," I replied. A memory flashed through my mind suddenly. It was when we had pulled up to the shed, that Markus and my father were talking. As the memory faded, everyone was staring at me.

Cel got off the stool, the soles of her shoes hitting the floor with a loud thump, these hardwood floors were old and squeaky. "I hate to sound short, but we need Scott to undo the compulsion that he did to Lily years ago. I'd thought if we came here, you could ask him to come. She is zoning out every five seconds-"

"It's making me go insane," I finished.

"Perhaps just running into my son caused your memory to trigger something," Markus explained, though he looked just as lost as we were.

"Well Lily and I have our magic, which is another story," Cel muttered. "We just need to get her memory back."

"My memories," I began, my voice shaky, "Are being triggered by similar things that I saw that night, I remembered Seana and just bits and pieces."

"Do you remember what I—" Zach stopped.

My breath caught in my throat. 

"Never mind, I'll go call him," he sighed, grabbed his phone, and strode down the dark hallway.

Markus crossed his large arms across his chest, "You need to know, that night I lost my wife, Zach lost his mother. Seeing her killed caused him to shift too early and lose control."