28 | Outsider At the Door

Seaside, California October 24, 2012

Celesta

THAT next day went by in a complete blur; I honestly slept through most of it. Lily had gone that morning to meet up with Amberly and Elle to make sure everything was ready for the dance tonight.

When I finally woke up at noon, I got my dress and everything and brought it back to Lily's. We were all going to get ready here tonight. A phone call from Lily had been going to the school reluctantly. I was forced to remove certain balloons that deflated.

I wonder how that happened.

I hadn't seen what they added after I left, but when I did it didn't even look like a gym.

It was engulfed with Lily's extravagant decorations. It was pretty, but Goddamn.

When everything was checked to perfection, the four of us went back to Lily's to get ready. Zach and Eddie were coming over to get us. Brandon had not shown up yet.

Laura had pulled the four of us to their master bathroom. The double vanity was huge, the mirror went across most of their wall. With the bright lights everywhere, it almost felt like we were in a salon. She even brought in stools for us to sit on as Lily worked on my hair. Amberly was busy tying Elle's hair into some braided bun.

Lily, meanwhile, was attempting to put my hair in a braided bun. 

"How many bobby pins are you going to put into my hair?" I asked Lily as she stuck the twentieth one in my scalp.

"Do you understand how thick and heavy your hair is?" she exclaimed. I saw her evil smile as she shoved another one in. "And you're done!"

She pulled out a hand mirror from one of the thousands of drawers the vanity had and handed it to me. Spinning around I saw the beautiful job she did on my mountain of hair. She left a few short pieces to dangle in front of my face.

"Wow Cel, you actually look like a girl!" Elle chuckled.

I just smiled at her and set the mirror down. I was about to say something smart, but Laura came back in with a random curling iron.

Like we didn't have enough curling irons already on the counter

"You found it!" Lily squealed and took the curling iron from her mother. "Amberly, this one will do that particular curl you love!"

Amberly and Elle switched spots quickly as Lily plugged in the iron. Elle started spraying Amberly's hair with something.

"No! That is hairspray! We need heat protection spray!" Lily yelped.

I got up from the stool and stepped back as Lily started moving around frantically trying to find the damn spray. Once she found it and gave it to Elle, her mother looked at her worryingly.