35 | Forget the World

Seaside, California November 1, 2012

Lillian

YOU know when you tell people you are fine, you should be fine, right? At least, that was what I was saying to everyone and myself. I felt fine, even after being gutted with a kitchen knife.

How the hell could I say I was fine after that? 

After we all got home, I still couldn't remember what Isabel had done to me. It was later though when I was alone that it came back in flashes. I guess I had been in shock from the blood loss and forgot what happened. 

Images of Isabel's twisted grin as she took joy in slicing through my skin. She began with my wrists and after circling me, satisfied with herself, she finally stabbed me in the abdomen. Then left me there to bleed to death on the floor slowly.

Now I wish I could just forget. But I couldn't. I didn't want to leave this shower and go back to the outside world. I wanted to follow that water down the drain and disappear with it.

"Honey, are you alright?" I heard my mother's concerned voice ask through the door. "You've been in there awhile."

"I'll be out in a minute!" I shouted and shut the water off abruptly.

I was instantly met with a chill when I opened the door to the shower and stepped out. I peered down at my abdomen. Where there should have been a hideous gaping wound, was nothing. Mentally I could still feel the pain, but there was nothing physically. 

It was baffling how much vampire blood could heal wounds. I wish it would heal mental ones. I didn't even feel like myself anymore. 

I just felt empty. 

And hopeless. 

"Lily?" I heard Cel ask now. 

I snapped my attention to the door and grabbed a towel as that door knob started to turn. 

"Yes?" I mumbled, grabbing another towel to wrap my nightmare hair in. 

"Sorry, we are just worried about how you are doing after everything," Cel trailed off as she peeked her head into the bathroom.  

"I told you I am fine!" I snapped.

"I'm sorry—" Cel began but I stopped her. 

"No, do not be sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you, I'm just," I paused. 

Mentally processing almost being murdered? Trying not to completely break down and lose it?

"You have been through a lot of shit tonight," Cel answered for me. "And I cannot express how horrified I am about it, but I understand if you just want to be alone."