23 | So You Say

Seaside, California October 15, 2012

Lillian

THE house was oddly quiet when I got home. My parents had decided to go out of town for a date night, so they wouldn't be back till late.

Despite school ending early I still had a pile of homework to do. Mr. Mendoza loved giving us assignments. As I sat there in my room writing away on the handouts, I heard the doorbell ring downstairs.

That was odd, who the hell would be coming here? Cel and Zach were on their date in town, so it wouldn't be them. 

She also sent me some very nice text messages earlier that day. That if anyone interrupted their date she would murder us all. 

I love my cousin. 

I got up from my desk and ran down the stairs, tension rising in me as I went to the front door.

It rang again. Well, whoever it was seemed a little impatient! I peeked through the window, seeing it was no one other than Scott.

Great.

I flung the door open, just as Scott was edging toward the doorbell again.

"I was coming you know," I chuckled.

"Sorry, I'm just in a rush," Scott began and asked, "Are your parents home?"

Odd question. "No, they aren't. Why? Is something wrong?"

"I need your help, and I don't think they would want you to but I am out of options. I need some help with getting Maggie away from Seana," he admitted.

"What happened today Scott?" I questioned, Elle's explanation didn't tell the whole story.

"Seana turned Maggie, when she had Isabel push her down those stairs it broke her fucking neck. I followed Francis and Orion, they handed her over to Seana, saying she was her responsibility. That can only mean one thing Lily," Scott remarked.

"Oh my God," I breathed, taking a step back. I leaned my back against the wall. "What can we do? And don't we need to get Isabel away from Seana too?"

"I don't think Isabel can be saved, you've seen how she is now. She has no humanity. Maggie is all new at this, if I can show her the right ways to do things, she may have a chance," he replied.

"So you're saying Isabel is a lost cause?" I gawked, "Scott, I don't know much about your history but didn't you not have your humanity when you were with Seana? You came back, why can't she?"

Scott glanced at me, his blue eyes piercing, "Mine was forced back, but Isabel was different even before she became a vampire. I've seen it as I kept tabs on her and Seana. She didn't need to turn her humanity off when she turned, she just never had any. It is a horrible thing to say, but sometimes that's how some people are."